Updating the Cumming Campus

The Cumming campus building. Photograph by Lizzy Gordon

The University of North Georgia Cumming campus opened in 2012 and is now under new construction . This will expand the campus making it a better experience for commuters coming from Alpharetta and Forsyth County.

UNG has also added bachelor’s degrees on the Cumming campus. This decision was made after the university voted to add 27,300 square feet to the current 36,000-square-foot building.

Last year, Gov. Brian Kemp signed the Fiscal year 2023 budget that would enhance the campus and offer new degrees. The expansion cost around $15 million and will add around ten new teaching areas.

“I’m excited for this change and expansion. For me, I don’t want to go very far to go to college so the Cumming campus becoming a 4-year college is perfect.” Micah Pittman, freshman at the University of North Georgia

Not every bachelor’s degree UNG offers will be available at Cumming, but it is still expected to populate the campus much more from the added programs: computer science, elementary and special education, international affairs, and management.

“I’m honestly most excited for the ability of more classes. The Cumming campus is the only UNG campus near me so this expansion will help me with all sorts of classes I previously would’ve had to travel for,” said Sean Benko, a student at the UNG.

Since the campus opened, many students have started their college careers at the Cumming location and later move to Dahlonega or Gainesville campuses to finish out their bachelor’s degrees. For these students, this additional space is overdue and anticipation for the new building is growing.

“The new space will be great for students and staff I imagine. I’m sure new applications will flow in. I only wish they would’ve done it sooner,” said Landen Driver, a student at UNG.

Around 1,300 students attend the Cumming campus, the expansion will increase that by an approximate 1,000 more students according to UNG’s website. The size of the Cumming campus facility will increase by 85%. This leaves space for more classrooms, labs, advising and common areas. The campus will also add more parking spots, saving students and faculty time and stress.

Growing the campus will drive more students to UNG and will increase events going on at the campus. The decision to add additional space will benefit students and staff. Check out the improved campus fall 2024.