Adventuring in Spain

Victoria Landa’s study abroad experience
A Coruña, Spain.
A Coruña, Spain.
Victoria Landa

The University of North Georgia is not just educating students in the North Georgia region but teaching students across the world. Students can immerse themselves in other cultures, improve their language skills and experience classes for credit in other countries by participating in UNG’s study abroad programs.

Victoria Landa, a senior international affairs major on the Dahlonega Campus, heard about the opportunity to study abroad from one of her professors in her Spanish class. As someone looking for a career as a Foreign Service Officer for the USAID, Landa saw the value of studying abroad in Spain and jumped at the opportunity in the summer of 2023.

“My experience was absolutely incredible. I learned so much both in and outside of the classroom” says Landa.

During her study abroad in Spain, she was actively attending classes taught by UNG professors and local professors from Spain. Landa explains, “The classes were not overwhelming, but rather were very conversational based and pertinent to everyday life in Spain.”

Landa’s sleeping and food accommodations continued immersing students into the culture. She stayed with host families in Cuenca and A Coruña where she says “staying with host families was very beneficial because they were able to give more insight to the culture and history, as well as take us to the best places to eat or other sites we may not have previously known about.” She goes on to say, “It was so special to be able to connect with families and their children while sharing a traditional meal or dessert.”

Since so much of this trip was focused on immersing students in the culture and language, Landa gained invaluable skills and knowledge during her trip that will help her after graduation.

“This study abroad trip provided an amazing experience and insight into cross-cultural immersion that will be invaluable when I enter my future career. On top of an expedited improvement in my Spanish, I was able to learn about the politics, history and general society of Spain as well as learn how to respectfully navigate a culture different than my own” says Landa.

Overall, Landa cannot express the joy and knowledge she gained from her study abroad program and gives thanks to the professors who made the trip what it was. “Dr. Poggi and Dr. Hair were incredibly supportive throughout the more challenging parts of the experience, making the experience so fun and stress-free. I want to acknowledge how incredible the professors are and how we all learned so much and appreciate the efforts they put in the make the trip so memorable.”

Any students who are interested in studying abroad can find more information on UNG Study Abroad website.