Join the Undefeated UNG Dodgeball Club

The+UNG+Dodgeball+club.+Photograph+by+Alex+Phillips+
The UNG Dodgeball club. Photograph by Alex Phillips

This season, Coach Noah Richardson, captain Alex Phillips and co-captain Carter Johnson have led their team through an undefeated season so far.

“It is a sport that doesn’t have a whole lot of recognition in our area. It is such a good solid community and a good way to get out there and be active and represent our school. These will be some of my favorite memories from college” Carter Johnson, Vice President and co-captain of the dodgeball club

Currently, there are 11 players on the team and there is room for more. The sport is co-ed and is on a sign-up basis but comes with some competition for starting positions.

“Currently we are undefeated, and we are hoping to finish this season undefeated,” said Phillips.

The dodgeball season starts in August and goes until April. Every Tuesday practice is held in the University of North Georgia Dahlonega recreation center from 4-5:30 p.m.

The sport has been more word of mouth than anything but is currently trying to build itself up in not only the UNG community but the surrounding town as well.

“This month we had a great victory at the University of Mississippi. It was awesome. We have a lot of new players. The progress of the team is amazing to see,” said Phillips.

The club travels a few hours or so for games and competes in nationals in April. Nationals are hosted by the National Collegiate Dodgeball Association (NCDA). NCDA is a nonprofit organization of dodgeball clubs in North American colleges.

The UNG dodgeball club during practice. Photograph by Carter Johnson

The UNG dodgeball club was founded in March 2016 by Kyle Dattelbaum and Andrew Gomez through the NCDA.

“I was surprised at nationals with all the teams who were better than we were, but still they were all building each other up,” Johnson said, adding that everyone showed grace and community.

Don’t miss watching a tournament or having an opportunity to play in one. It is a great way to stay active almost all year round at UNG and build a sense of community.

The upcoming game dates and team updates can be found on their Instagram.