Adopt, Don’t Shop This Holiday Season

Caleb+Pruitt+adopted+his+kitten%2C+Lucy+from+Hall+County+Animal+Shelter.%0APhoto+Courtesy+of+Caleb+Pruitt+
Caleb Pruitt adopted his kitten, Lucy from Hall County Animal Shelter. Photo Courtesy of Caleb Pruitt

Every year, millions of companion animals end up in shelters across the country. Some are lost, some are abandoned and some are given up by families who simply can’t care for them anymore. There’s a solution to this problem that not only gives these animals a second chance, but also offers a host of benefits to their adopters: pet adoption.

Holiday adoption specials are available at Hall County Animal Shelter now through New Year’s Day. All senior dogs over the age of six are free, and all large dogs are $25. Kittens are also $25 and adult cats are free. The typical adoption fee is $85.

Kittens are available for reduced price this holiday at Hall County Animal Shelter (DeAnna Mayfield)

Pet adoption is a compassionate choice that saves lives. Rescuing an animal isn’t just giving a deserving animal a safe and loving home; it also frees up shelter space for another pet who might desperately need it. Adoption helps to fight against the cruel and inhumane conditions found in puppy mills and unregulated breeding operations.

“When you adopt an animal, you are saving an animal’s life.” Heather Newton, Adoption Specialist Hall County Animal Shelter

“Adopted animals typically come fully vetted,” says Heather Newton an Adoption Specialist at the Hall County Animal Shelter. Newton says adopted animals are usually spayed or neutered, have received their first round of shots including a rabies vaccine, are given a health examination and are microchipped.

The benefits of pet adoption don’t stop there. Adopted pets can provide the same companionship, fun and unconditional love as purchased pets from a breeder. In fact, many adopters say that their rescue pets seem to “know” they’ve been saved and show extra affection and gratitude as a result.

Caleb Pruitt adopted a kitten from HCAS at PetSmart in Flowery Branch. “Her name is Lucy. She is the sweetest cat I’ve ever met. I definitely recommend rescuing a pet because I can tell she is happy to have a forever home,” says Pruitt.

Heather Newton specializes in assisting with adoptions at Hall County Animal Shelter.
Photo Courtesy of Hall County Animal Shelter

Adding a pet to the family is a big responsibility. Newton advises to think of a few things before making the decision to bring one home for the holidays:

• Pets require daily care, including feeding, exercise and grooming. Dogs, in particular, need plenty of attention and time outdoors.
  • Pets can be expensive. Beyond the initial adoption fee, plan to budget for food, regular vet check-ups, vaccinations and unexpected health issues.
  • Different pets have different needs. Some dogs need a big backyard to run around in, while some cats are perfectly content in a small apartment.
  • Pets are not temporary companions; they’re family members that will depend on care for their entire lives.

Pet adoption is a compassionate, rewarding choice that’s better for animals, better for shelters and just as good—if not better—for the people who open their hearts and homes to a rescued pet. So, when thinking about adding a furry friend to the family, remember: adopt, don’t shop.

Visit the Available Pets page to fill out an application and view pets that currently need homes.