Los Angeles Gears Up for the 2024 NASCAR Busch Clash

Photo by Jared C. Tilton/Getty Images

In a thrilling display of speed and strategy, the 2024 NASCAR Busch Clash is poised to take center stage at the iconic Los Angeles Coliseum for its third consecutive year. With the echoes of last year’s excitement still resonating, the anticipation for this unique racing spectacle has reached unprecedented heights.

The Los Angeles Coliseum, renowned for hosting historic events, transforms into a battleground where NASCAR’s elite drivers will compete for supremacy. The clash of engines, the squeal of tires and the electrifying atmosphere are expected to surpass the standards set by last year’s event. According to the Television Bureau of Advertising, the 2023 Busch Clash averaged a 2.0 rating and 3.65 million viewers on FOX, down 13% in ratings and 15% in viewership from 2022.

The L.A. Coliseum has hosted everything from 2 Super Bowls, 2 Olympic Games and a World Series. The temporary race track built inside the facility is just a quarter-mile in length. It took construction crews nearly two months to spread 4 to 5 feet of graded dirt and cover with asphalt to build the track surface. All American Asphalt’s Contracting Engineer Carl Washington, questions revolving the process of paving the track were inquired.

“Paving the track for the NASCAR Busch Clash is a meticulous process that blends art and engineering. It’s about ensuring precision, durability and crafting a surface that resonates with the safety for the drivers, and setting the stage for quality racing.” – Carl Washington, All American Asphalt

Photo by Kevin Mazur/Getty Images

2024’s event will include a “halftime” mid race performance from Machine Gun Kelly, which takes place on Sunday, Feb. 4, and serves as the unofficial start to the new season of stock car racing. The 2024 NASCAR Cup Series season officially kicks off on Sunday, Feb. 18 with the 66th running of the Daytona 500.

Photo by James Gilbert/Getty Images

The inaugural running of the L.A. Clash was won by Joey Logano, who went on to win his second Cup Series title that year. The defending winner is Martin Truex Jr., taking victory ahead of the Richard Childress Racing duo of Austin Dillon and Kyle Busch in 2023.

Another twist to this year’s event will be the inclusion of the NASCAR Mexico Series, which will run their own exhibition race prior to the Cup race. It will be exciting to see what attention will be brought to this branch of the brand because it has not been represented in the United States before.

NASCAR on FOX will once again carry the broadcast for the Busch Light Clash. The NASCAR Mexico Series Race can be found on FS1.