Promoting Equity: UNG’s Cultural Competency Certificate Program

Cultural+Competency+Certificate+Program+
UNG
Cultural Competency Certificate Program

Amidst debates surrounding Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI), many political influencers often portray DEI as a threat to established requirements in businesses standards while also giving them an opportunity to be racist. President Biden’s Executive Order on Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility in 2021 fanned the flames of such attacks on DEI.

Just like buffet table offers a variety of dishes, DEI helps make sure the entire menu is represented. It recognizes how different backgrounds and perspectives bring value to the table or the entire menu.  DEI helps create opportunities for everyone and ensuring diversity enriches rather than diluting talent but expanding the pool the of talent to reflect the richness of our entire society with cultivating employment environments in which every individual can thrive.

At the heart of DEI lies cultural competency, which is the ability to acknowledge and appreciate differences among cultures, enabling effective communication and collaboration across diverse groups.

The Certificate of Cultural Competency offered by University of North Georgia is a free non-credit program and equips undergraduate students with the skills needed to navigate the culture of a global workforce with sensitivity and understanding.

Culture goes beyond mere geography or ethnicity; it encompasses a myriad of factors such as economic status, gender, religion, sexual orientation and more. Through an online workshop, students enrolled in the Cultural Competency Certificate program gain a deeper understanding of these diverse cultural perspectives.

To complete the certificate program, participants must attend a total of five workshop sessions, including the core session and four electives of their choice, within a maximum of one academic year.  These electives can be any presentation, lecture or workshop offered by UNG and approved by the certificate program.

By recognizing the intersectionality of various identities and experiences, the program fosters a sense of inclusivity and celebration of differences. Completion of the program is not only a personal achievement but also a valuable credential that enhances students’ resumes and CVs while signaling to employers their readiness to engage in diverse and globalized environments.

As the world becomes increasingly interconnected, the importance of DEI and cultural competence cannot be overstated. Through initiatives like this certification, students are not only prepared for the challenges of the workforce but also empowered to contribute to building more equitable and inclusive societies.

Interested participants can join the introduction virtual session hosted by the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs via Zoom on On February 1 at 12 p.m. For more information and registration, contact [email protected]. Don’t miss this opportunity to learn more about the Cultural Competency Certificate program and enhance your skills in navigating diverse cultural perspectives in future workplaces and life.