Grossest Gems in Dahlonega

Dumpster diving student talks about his finds and why you should give it a try
photos by Carson Dingler

Some unique finds can be found at antique stores, thrift stores, and even… dumpsters.

Carson Dingler, a junior graphic design major, goes dumpster diving more often than most.
“It’s actually very cool and fun. I mainly just grab things that I think are cool and interesting.”

“The first time I tried it, I went to a dumpster behind a Chuck E. Cheese, where they gave me permission to keep what I wanted, and I remember I found a bunch of wires. I wasn’t even thinking if I could use them or not, I was just excited to see them and ended up taking them.”

Dingler wanted to try a couple of UNG dumpsters to see if he’d have any luck in dumpsters on campus. “It was mainly a bunch of gross food stuff, although there were a couple things that were cool.”

Dingler ended up finding motherboards, a Georgia newspaper written in Korean, and a milk crate. 

He says he was very pleased with his findings, “This was really successful. My favorite thing is probably the milk carton, they can be really useful at times when you least expect it.”

When it comes to the dangers of dumpster diving, Dingler said, “I think people have to be respectful. As long as trash isn’t being thrown everywhere and I leave the place clean when I leave, I usually avoid conflict and everything is fine.”

Dingler says everyone should dumpster dive once in their life to experience both the grime and the joy of finding something interesting and worth keeping.

According to Dumpster rental company Vine Disposal, “Georgia state law does not have explicit rules regarding dumpster diving on public property. However, local ordinances might differ, so it is always wise to do your due diligence and check city or county rules.”