New Chi Phi Fraternity To Host Charity Drive All Month

Photo courtesy of Chi Phis website
Photo courtesy of Chi Phi’s website

Chi Phi’s newest chapter will be opening with a bang on the University of North Georgia’s Dahlonega campus.

According to Dakota Spivey, a new member of Chi Phi, the fraternity is planning to hold a food and hygiene product drive starting Feb. 5 and ending March 1.

The donations will go to the on-campus food bank as well as the adult and veterans’ lounge.

For those looking to donate, Spivey said that the drive will be set up outside of the Hoag Student Center. The drive will be accepting non-perishable foods, canned goods, shampoo, conditioner, toothbrushes, toothpaste, cologne and perfume.

Anyone wishing to donate online or get involved with the fraternity can do so by following UNG_chiphi on Instagram. From there they can contact Chi Phi’s expansion team through the page’s direct message.

The food drive will not be able to accept any perishable foods or products such as razors.

Nathan Gibson, a Leadership Consultant for the Chi Phi national office, explained that he wants the event’s number one priority to be helping the community, not promoting the new chapter’s image.

“If the chapter doesn’t work [out], we’ve still had an impact on campus. UNG fits well with our principles and values, we couldn’t be happier [to start our chapter here],” Gibson said.

Spivey echoed these sentiments, hoping that the Dahlonega campus will immediately feel the impact of the event.

“I think this sets the tone for Chi Phi here at UNG because we’re starting at home and making a mark… They’re [the donatees] not only people in need but people we’re in class with.” – Dakota Spivey, prospective new member of Chi Phi’s UNG Dahlonega chapter

Chi Phi, according to Gibson, is the nation’s oldest social fraternity, based in Georgia, and will be celebrating its 200th anniversary this year. It prioritizes creating “quality chapters” that “go where we need to fill a need,” he said.

Chi Phi’s mission is to create men from the foundation of truth, honor and personal integrity.

According to their website, “Chi Phi creates leaders by providing young men with skills that prepare them for a lifetime of success. United through the strong bonds of Brotherhood, Chi Phi men build lifelong friendships while learning what it means to be productive global citizens and give back to their communities.”