Daniel Suárez Wins Three-Wide Finish in Atlanta

Alex Slitz / Getty Images
Daniel Suarez, driver of the No. 99 Freeway Insurance Chevrolet, crosses the finish line ahead of Ryan Blaney, driver of the No. 12 BodyArmor Zero Sugar Ford and Kyle Busch, driver of the No. 8 Cheddar’s Scratch Kitchen Chevrolet, to win the NASCAR Cup Series Ambetter Health 400 at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

The Ambetter Health 400 NASCAR Cup Series race at Atlanta Motor Speedway on Sunday concluded with a captivating display of skill and determination as Daniel Suárez of Trackhouse Racing clinched a dramatic victory in a three-wide photo finish.

Austin Cindric, driver of the No. 2 Menards/Knauf Insulation Ford, Joey Logano, driver of the No. 22 Shell Pennzoil Ford, Ryan Blaney, driver of the No. 12 BodyArmor Zero Sugar Ford and Kyle Larson, driver of the No. 5 HendrickCars.com Chevrolet, race during the NASCAR Cup Series Ambetter Health 400 at Atlanta Motor Speedway. (Alex Slitz / Getty Images)

The day started off with a wild crash on lap two which led to 16 drivers being caught up in the carnage, one of those being the race winner. The first two stages of the race  were dominated by two of the new Dark Horse Ford Mustangs. Michael McDowell captured the first stage and Austin Cindric grabbed a close win off of a late caution ending that stage early. 

The final moments of the Ambetter Health 400 saw Suárez engaged in a fierce battle with Ryan Blaney and Kyle Busch, with each driver vying for position in a thrilling dash to the finish line. With mere inches separating the competitors, Suárez demonstrated remarkable composure and precision, crossing the finish line ahead of Blaney by a razor-thin margin of 0.003 seconds.

Reflecting on his hard-fought win, Suárez expressed gratitude to his team and fans for their unwavering support throughout the race. Despite facing adversity, Suárez’s determination and skill shone through, culminating in a memorable victory as one of the highlights of this NASCAR Cup Series season. After the race Suárez reinforced that this win was not just for show, he is determined to win multiple races in 2024.

“This is just the beginning for us (Trackhouse Racing) this year. ” – Daniel Suárez

For Blaney and Busch, the narrow defeat served as a testament to the intensity and competitiveness of NASCAR racing. Both drivers delivered outstanding performances in their pursuit of victory. Though falling just short of the win, Blaney and Busch showcased sportsmanship and respect for Suárez’s exceptional achievement on the track. Ross Chastain, Suárez’s teammate, parked beside him after his thrilling victory and congratulated him on the win.

Ross Chastain, driver of the No. 1 Moose Fraternity Chevrolet, congratulates his teammate Daniel Suárez after a triumphant victory (Nigel Kinrade/ Motorsport Images)

Attention now turns to the next chapter in the NASCAR Cup Series. The Pennzoil 400 is on the horizon at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Fans can anticipate another thrilling installment into what the new NASCAR season has in store on March 3.