Dune: Part Two Dominates the Box Office

Warner Bros. Studio
Still of Timothée Chalamet as Paul Atreides from Dune: Part Two.

After almost three years, the highly anticipated sequel to Denis Villeneuve’s “Dune” finally hit theaters on Feb. 29. From the overwhelming positive reviews and staggering profits from opening weekend, “Dune: Part Two” appears to be the next big hit blockbuster. 

In the film’s opening weekend, “Dune: Part Two” drew in $82.5 million in North America and $182.5 million globally, doubling the totals from the opening weekend of the first film. According to Box Office Mojo, the sequel is currently the highest grossing film of 2024. 

The film has opened to a 93% critic score and a 95% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. Candice McMillan, a critic for Rotten Tomatoes, said the film is a breathtaking trip to another world and a fever dream from which we never want to wake up from. Currently, “Dune: Part Two” is one of the highest-rated films of all time on IMDb, with a score of 9.0/10. 

Screenshot from Regal Cinema’s app of a nearly sold-out showing of “Dune: Part Two” in IMAX at Regal Mall of Georgia for Tuesday, Mar. 5, at 7 p.m. (Robert DiClemente)

Because of the actors and writers strikes during 2023, many films were delayed, with “Dune: Part Two” being one of them. The film was originally slated to be released on Nov. 3, 2023. In hindsight, the delayed release date may benefit the film and its future profits, as it is releasing during a time with little competition from other film studios. According to Regal Cinema’s mobile app, movie theaters such as Regal Mall of Georgia have been consistently or nearly selling out showings for the film.  

The stunning visuals and top tier acting that intrigued fans from the first film carries over into the sequel. Timothée Chalamet returns to the leading role of Paul Atreides alongside Zendaya, who reprises her role as Chani from the first film. “Dune: Part Two” also introduces new characters into the mix such as Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen, played by academy-nominated actor Austin Butler. 

Andrew Salerno, a production professor for UNG’s film department, said “Dune: Part Two” was more ferocious than the first and delivered a much more satisfying sci-fi experience.

Edward Mitchell, a student at Kennesaw State University, saw the film on opening night at Regal Avalon in Alpharetta, Ga. Mitchell said Dennis Villeneuve’s “Dune: Part Two” is an absolute beast of a film.

“It will be a tall order to outshine this movie. With the stellar cast, stunning cinematography and rich soundscape, ‘Dune: Part Two’ is a must watch for any movie goer.” – Edward Mitchell, student at Kennesaw State University