Flooding at Lula Boat Ramp Sparks Concern

Recurring Water Level Fluctuations Pose Challenges for the Local Community
Austin Solesbee
The Lula Ramp has seen consistent flooding since September of last year.

The Lula boat ramp, which is a vital access point for water enthusiasts and fishermen alike, has been plagued by recurrent flooding incidents over the past few years, prompting growing concerns among residents and officials. Situated northeast of the Don Carter State Park off Highway 52, the ramp has been inundated multiple times due to fluctuating water levels, impacting recreational activities and safety measures.

The latest phase of flooding, which occurred last winter, has once again brought attention to the vulnerability of the ramp. Resident kayaker Dominic Wohlrab expressed his frustration stating “It’s disheartening to see the boat ramp underwater again. This isn’t the first time, and it certainly won’t be the last if something isn’t done about it.”

The entrance to the ramp has repeatedly closed after heavy rainfall to prevent accidents. (Austin Solesbee)

The fluctuating water levels have hindered recreational pursuits and raised safety concerns for boaters and fishermen. Stephanie Walker, a frequent visitor to the area, voiced her concerns, saying, “Navigating the flooded ramp poses risks for people with limited boating experience. Measures must be taken to address this issue before it leads to accidents.”

In response to the recurrent flooding, local authorities have acknowledged the need for proactive solutions. 

“The frequent flooding at the Lula boat ramp is a matter of concern for the entire community. We are actively exploring options to address this issue and ensure safe access for residents and visitors,” – Tim Winchester, Georgia Land Management officer

Efforts to address the problem include exploring the possibility of raising the ramp elevation, implementing flood control measures and enhancing monitoring systems to provide early warnings of potential flooding incidents.

As discussions continue to find viable solutions, residents and stakeholders remain hopeful for tangible actions to safeguard the Lula boat ramp against future flooding events. With the support of the community and local authorities, efforts are now underway to ensure uninterrupted access to the natural beauty and recreational opportunities the area offers.

The resilience of the Lula community shines through as they navigate the challenges posed by nature’s unpredictable forces, steadfast in their determination to preserve this cherished waterway for generations to come.