Brewing up Fun at the Suwanee Beer Fest

DeAnna Mayfield
DeAnna Mayfield

Every year for over a decade, the city of Suwanee comes alive with the spirit of celebration as locals and visitors eagerly anticipate the annual Beer Festival held on St. Patrick’s Day weekend in Town Center Park.

Recognized as the Best Beer Festival in the Country by USA Today, this event has solidified its position as the largest craft beer festival in Georgia and the top St. Patrick’s Day celebration in metro Atlanta.

It’s just about coming out, hanging out, and drinking in moderation. The goal is to hit all the booths! We always take a Lyft home.

— Darbra Mahoney, Suwanee Resident

DeAnna Mayfield

One of the main attractions of the Suwanee Beer Festival is, of course, the beer. With over 400 craft beers from 100+ breweries, attendees can savor a wide selection of American craft beer. Drawing in more than 6,000 beer fans, this event is the ultimate celebration of independent and local breweries. The Georgia Brew Battle is also making a comeback, allowing attendees to vote for their favorite Georgia brew.

Aficionados and novices are greeted with an extensive array of craft beers from local and regional breweries, like White Claw and Suwanee’s own Still Fire Brewery. Each one offers a unique blend of flavors and styles.

From crisp lagers to robust stouts, hoppy IPAs and everything in between, there is a brew for

DeAnna Mayfield

every palate. The festival provides an opportunity to savor the artistry of masterful brewing, engage in insightful conversations with brewers, and to expand an appreciation for the rich tapestry of beer culture.

The festival grounds are a sea of green filled with the sounds of Irish music, local bands, beer-themed souvenirs, and even green beer. Beyond the libations, the festival boasts backyard games like giant beer pong, giant Jenga, and cornhole. There are a variety of food vendors specializing in beer-inspired culinary delights from tacos to bratwurst and barbecue.

The St. Patrick’s Day weekend adds an extra layer of festivity as attendees are decked out in their vibrant green attire. The Suwanee Beer Festival is not just a celebration of beer, but also a celebration of community. Friends and strangers come together, forging new connections and sharing in the collective revelry.

Darbra Mahoney and Terri Lynn have been friends for forty years and always make their own pretzel necklaces. (DeAnna Mayfield )

“You can make your own pretzel necklace, you don’t want to be an amateur at a beer festival. You can drink your beer and eat your pretzels,” says Darbra Mahoney from Suwanee. Thin pretzels and dental floss make the best pretzel necklaces, she says.

Tickets go on sale in January of next year for $60 for unlimited samples, with prices increasing to $75 as the event gets closer. Giving back to the community is a priority for Suwanee Beer Fest. A portion of this year’s proceeds will support Cooper’s Crew, a local nonprofit dedicated to childhood cancer research and providing scholarships to students who have overcome challenges.