The TikTok Ban and How It Affects Its Users

TikTok, which provides entertainment to 170 million U.S. users, will have to be sold or face US ban due to the approved legislation by House lawmakers.

This qualm began in 2020, when former US President Trump wanted to ban the app over concerns of data privacy and national security. As ByteDance is a Chinese-based company, Trump expressed concerns that TikTok would be used to gather user data for the Chinese government. More investigations commenced in March 2023, when claims arose that the app spied on American journalists.

Currently, the reason for the ban is because of concerns over national security, as it’s always been. The White House and lawmakers are worried about TikTok’s Chinese ownership because Beijing might use the app to spread misinformation or obtain access to American user data.

“It seems like an obvious attempt to stop criticism and manage information flow. To protect our fundamental rights and ideals, we should fight against this trend that is leading to censorship and dictatorship.” – Sarah Jimenez, a TikTok user

Enacting the ban would affect millions of people as it is a source of income and entertainment. Many influencers and affiliate markers use this app to promote products for income. Lily Johnson, an affiliate marketer on TikTok, expressed that this would take a hit to her livelihood. She stated, “It feels like my entire livelihood is on the verge of being taken away from me. My primary means of audience outreach and sales acceleration has been TikTok; losing that platform would have a negative effect on my revenue stream.” 

Those who participate in affiliate marketing on this app can make up to $10,000 a month, depending on certain factors. Users can also generate income through TikTok’s Creators Fund which, according to TikTok.com, is made by video views, video engagement, as well as ensuring the videos adhere to the Community Guidelines and Terms of Service.

The various ways to make income is a plus about the app, as well as the entertainment that it provides. Many topics of videos can be found on TikTok like ideas on cooking, cleaning, creating, and so on. Alex Thompson, a TikTok user, stated, “Ever since I can remember, TikTok has been my go-to source of entertainment. It always delivers, whether I’m searching for a quick joke, some motivation, or just mindless scrolling to pass the time after a long day.” Thompson expressed how he has a lot of informative videos saved to his bookmarks. If the ban gets placed, he would be disappointed losing access to these videos. 

TikTok users are speculating that the ban is trying to be carried out because of the information that gets passed along the app. As of April 24th, Biden signed the bill for the ban to be passed. If an American-based company doesn’t buy the company, then TikTok may see its end.

https://www.tiktok.com/@c.a.i.t.l.y.n/video/7348609472517950762?_r=1&_t=8krlqK4dH3e

@thesashapiton

Just a theory #tiktokban #kelloggs #boycott #fyp

♬ original sound – Sasha Piton