Cumming City Center

A Symbol of Small-Town Growth
Jack Thurmond
In its short lifetime, the Cumming City Center has become a pillar of economic and community growth within the expanding town. The venue offers a bounty of shops and eateries for residents to enjoy.

Within the past couple of years, the Cumming City Center has been a symbol of the town’s economic growth. The recreational center that already houses a plethora of stores, eateries and taverns is set to continue its growth in the near future. 

Cumming, Georgia, a city of nearly 8,000 residents, has lately been among the state’s fastest growing cities. Mayra Granados, food truck & catering director for Los Rios Mexican Restaurant, says the town’s recent growth has been nothing short of remarkable. 

“This once small, close-knit community has blossomed into a vibrant city … We’ve seen an influx of diverse businesses, from restaurants to distilleries, that have enriched our local economy and added a dynamic flavor to our cityscape.” – Los Rios Food Truck & Catering Director Mayra Granados 

The town’s recently built City Center exemplifies this expansion. City Mayor Troy Brumbalow says the facility has already contributed tens of millions in revenue toward the local economy in its first year. 

Several of the community’s marquee establishments already call the venue their home, including Wrights Fish & Chips and Los Rios Mexican Restaurant. On top of this, newer establishments such as Homestead Kitchen and Craft Bar & Tin Cup Grill have also opened within the grounds. 

Los Rios is one of multiple community favorite businesses to name City Center its home. (Jack Thurmond)

David Smith, the head chef at Homestead, says businesses operating in the venue share a sense of community by supporting both each other and what they can offer consumers.  

“When we go on wait at Homestead, some guests visit shops while they wait … or some will try out a different restaurant that night.”- Homestead Head Chef Dave Smith 

Smith says the alliance between establishments helps them create stronger connections and corporate relationships between one another. 

With establishments such as Rock N Taco and Simple Man Distillery lined up to join these eateries, the marketplace continues to steadily grow. 

Granados welcomes the new companies with open arms, saying each new business offers more diversity for residents and visitors.

“This growth not only boosts our local economy, but also fosters a sense of camaraderie among business owners,” she says.  

Smith said he looks forward to the new options as well and there is room for a variety of establishments that can bring their own flare to help draw in community members. 

City Center Property Manager Jennifer Archer says that there are currently seven newcomers still under construction. These include new restaurants, a chiropractic office, a men’s boutique and a golf cart showroom. Moreover, they have plans for additional residential developments and are considering the possibility of a boutique hotel in the area. 

The City Center serves as a banner toward Cummings growth as a community. Smith said he feels town residents and people in the surrounding area deserve such a place to enjoy themselves in.  

“The City Center could most definitely be considered the heart of Cumming, if not the ‘jewel’.” – Homestead Head Chef Dave Smith