Listeria Outbreak Sparks Nationwide Dairy Product Recall

A listeria outbreak has been identified in various dairy products sold at major retailers, including Costco, Walmart, Whole Foods, and several others.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued a public health alert, cautioning consumers of the contamination of certain dairy products. The company responsible for this is Rizo-López Foods.

According to their website, they claim to offer high-quality and great-tasting Central American and Mexican-style cheeses and sour creams. However, they’ve voluntarily recalled their products, specifically their crema, cheeses, and yogurt. This is because they have “the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, an organism that causes serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. 

Sarah Reynolds, a Whole Foods shopper, was alarmed when she heard about this news. She says, “As someone who’s a mother whose children love dairy products, it’s scary to know that my kids could have eaten products from this brand.” With children between the ages of 8-10, she feels lucky that her children weren’t affected by this. 

Micheal Anderson, a Whole Foods shopper, agrees with Reynolds. He says he would be outraged if something like this were to harm his family.  “The thought that my child’s life could’ve been at stake because of an outbreak like this, infuriates me. As a parent, I trusted that these companies would be extra careful with the safety of their products,” he says.

“We need more than just recalls, we need accountability, answers, and so much more so that we know our loved ones won’t face such risks again.” – Micheal Anderson, Whole Foods Shopper. 

For those who may have bought these products, the CDC recommends that you do not eat the recalled products, clean counters, refrigerators, and surfaces these products may have touched, and call a healthcare provider right away if symptoms show after ingestion. 

Symptoms vary depending on age and if pregnant.

As of Feb. 13, there have been 26 illnesses, 23 hospitalizations, and 2 deaths. For more information, visit the CDC’s website.