The Rise and Benefits of Online Therapy

Image from health.com
Therapists conducting a virtual therapy session.

Online therapy has become a valuable source for both patients and therapists. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic that took place in 2020, therapists and patients were forced to transition to an online format for mental health needs. This format also known as “Telecasting” can be provided in different ways including video calls, phone calls and chats.

Telecasting was used prior to the pandemic but it was not as popular as it is today. Owner of Sound Counseling LLC, Lashanna Stephens, says, “It allows access to more people, and since Covid-19 we saw a shift to everything.” As horrible as Covid 19 was for some people, telecasting is something positive which has emerged and will more than likely continue to grow. 

According to psychiatry.org a survey showed 43% of adults said they would continue using online therapy after the pandemic. Not only is it convenient for doctors and patients, but it is also a quick means of receiving medical attention without the hassle of sitting with strangers in a waiting room who may be sick with a physical illness. Telecasting can also decrease the spread of illnesses.

Another benefit is speaking to a therapist from home or one’s place of employment.  A person may be more open about his/her feelings at home and not having to take time off work can also be financially beneficial.

Telecasting allows individuals to receive help who are physically unable to commute due to being homebound, for example. Also, those who live in rural areas may not have quick access to a therapist. Traveling far distances are eliminated, which may provide someone needing therapy less stress.

“Online therapy is here to stay.” – Lashanna Stephens, owner of Sound Counseling LLC

Also, virtual therapy allows individuals to schedule appointments that fit their schedule. No longer are the days of scheduling an appointment and waiting several minutes or hours to be seen.

Studies show online therapy can be just as beneficial as in person therapy. Over 60 studies were taken by researchers. According to uclahealth.coma study shows seeing a therapist online is just as effective visiting the office. Yet, the convenience of telecasting is important for people who live busy lives.

The many benefits to online therapy have given this source a bright future. Telecasting is now being advertised on social media platforms such as Youtube and TikTok. People now have the ability to get the help needed, regarding particular circumstances.