Suwanee Town Center Expansion

Suwanee Town Center is growing. The expansion is starting with the renovation of the old city hall park located between the StillFire Brewery and the Suwanee police station now called Station Park. The idea of Station Park is to provide a connecting sidewalk and tunnel to the other side of the railroad tracks. The City of Suwanee has planned this side as the future home to a second town center called Town Center West.

The plans to improve Station Park includes providing a stable and straight walkway to gain access to the other side.

Suwanee City Manager, Marty Allen, said, “Renovations to this part of the park were crucial in order to further grow the Town Center.”

Allen said the renovations include a new playground for children as well as a playground for adults. This adult playground will include areas for corn hole and other lawn games, as well as artificial turf.

Allen made it clear that this part of the park will be fully open to the public and not only limited to StillFire.

As the city of Suwanee has grown exponentially in the past years, parking has become an issue on nice days when many people would like to enjoy the park and shop.

In order to improve the park, parking will be taken from the police station to expand. While there will be a loss of parking initially, Allen said that another project on Buford Highway near the park will consist of 180 new parking.

Allen said, “The addition of these parking spots are critical because not only is it creating more parking but as well as creating handicap accessible spots which the town center does not currently have.”

The projected date for Station Park to be completed is March 22, 2021. Allen said that the project is running behind schedule. It should be completed by the end of the month. Once completed, the city can begin to break ground on the expansion side of Town Center West.

In the interview Allen was asked the motivation behind the To
wn Center Project.

“We wanted to create something that people would remember about Suwanee.” – Marty Allen

“Before the Town Center, people may have remembered Suwanee by their church and high school. There is nothing wrong with that, but we saw an opportunity to make people’s hometowns unique,” said Allen.