Sea of Thieves Developer Working on New Game

Rare, makers of such games as Banjo Kazooie, Viva Piñata, Battletoads, and Sea of Thieves, is in the early stages of development for a new and unique game.  An Xbox exclusive, Everwild will be included on Xbox Game Pass and can also be played on PC.

Taking notes from the fully open-world, multiplayer pirate simulator Sea of Thieves, the English game developer Rare Limited will place players with their friends or strangers in an immersive natural world.

Gameplay is still being hashed out and ideas are still floating around, so Rare is keeping quiet about details as of April 2021.  The trailer gives a glimpse into the fantastical and magical world of Everwild. There are mystical and fictitious animals and environments.

The player characters are known as Eternals and are portrayed to be protectors of the natural world in some way.  Due to the lack of information at this early stage, it is unclear what the actual gameplay will feel like.  Information about game mechanics is nonexistent or conceptual and unavailable to consumers.

There will be connections between Eternals and animals of the world like having a familiar or pet.

“Everwild will offer memorable, engaging and meaningful experiences for players everywhere to share.” -Craig Duncan, Studio Head

The world appears vibrant but also dangerous.  Perilous journeys and heart-filled stories are to come.

The announce trailer was released in November 2019. You can watch that here: Official Everwild Reveal Trailer – X019

Rare also released a director’s commentary on the trailer itself.  There, Executive Producer Louise O’Connor and Art Director Ryan Stevenson break down the individual scenes of the trailer and the ideas behind them.  Watch that here: Everwild Eternals Trailer – Directors’ Commentary