UNG Emphasizes the Creation in Recreation

UNGs+lower+tennis+court+have+degraded+over+the+years.+
UNG’s lower tennis court have degraded over the years.

The University of North Georgia has finalized plans to renovate the Gainesville campus tennis courts, Director of Campus Recreation and Wellness & Student Facilities Derek Leonard confirmed this week.  

Carroll Daniel Construction will oversee the transformation of the upper courts into a multi-sport facility complete with two full basketball courts, two futsal courts, four pickleball courts, and two tennis courts. A new grass activity area will take the place of the lower courts.  

The department hopes to break ground later this semester, and construction is expected to be completed by spring 2022. While the tennis courts will be unavailable during this period, Leonard doesn’t anticipate any closures to the school gym or fitness center. Students will still be able to play their favorite sports indoors.  

Once completed, the multi-sport facility will be an exclusive feature of the Gainesville campus. The rec department hopes to bolster Nighthawk spirit by decorating the courts in a blue and gold color scheme, and a new fence will display the school’s logo in vinyl.  

“This is very much a statement project.  Everything will be in UNG colors.” -Derek Leonard 

The upper tennis courts are still well maintained, but the lower courts have severely degraded over time. Ripped tennis nets and broken tiling are likely to have inspired the renovations. The grass activity area taking their place will function similarly to the campus recreation fields that allow students to play any sport of their choosing.

The Upper Courts at UNG’s Gainesville Campus

UNG is fully funding the project, so the school is approaching the renovations with a student-first mindset. Leonard is currently analyzing the practicality of supervision and management that would prioritize student use, among other measures.  

“I’d like the students to understand that it’s their fees that pay for the staff, equipment, and everything else,” Leonard said.  

The increased scale of outdoor recreation could also lead to new student jobs. Much like the school’s gym or bookstore, the supervisory needs of the courts would likely be met by Nighthawks. It’s an aspect of the project still being looked at, but it demonstrates the student-first mindset of campus recreation. 

While the renovations are ongoing, students should make sure they  have an active school ID card in order to access the inside facilities. Non-students can purchase a $5 guest pass to join in with their friends or family. Continued maintenance and updates will be provided for inside recreation, as well. 

“We are constantly looking for things to improve,” Leonard said. “The department is open to suggestions and feedback.”

More details on campus recreation can be found by visiting the University of North Georgia’s website. Additional details on the groundbreaking will be shared as they become available.