2021 Men and Women’s Fall Fashion Trends

With the return of in-person classes this fall at the University of North Georgia, students have been ditching their pajama pants for the latest fall trends. However, if you’re anything like me, you may look at your closet in the mornings and think, “I have no idea what to wear!”

To solve this problem, I consulted two of the most fashionable college students I know: Katelyn and Christopher Dennis. The 19-year-old twin duo were voted “most likely to be influencers” in high school and have thousands of followers on social media. Read below for their run-down on what’s trending this fall in men and women’s fashion.

Women’s Fashion

Katelyn Dennis in the UNG Student Center wearing her graphic crewneck, Dickies work pants and Jordans

Tops: Sweaters, Crewnecks and Flannels

According to Katelyn Dennis, cozy vibes are in this fall, and sweaters are very on-trend. Specifically “vintage sweaters, ones that are really graphic and stand out such as colorful or geometric sweaters.” Knit sweaters are also popular this season “because they’re really warm and comfortable, and they can go with a lot.”

Regardless, the aspiring influencer’s favorite top to wear this time of year is a comfy crewneck. “Crewnecks are a top seller for all of the coolest brands,” she said. “Graphic and band crewnecks are really in right now.”

However, if all else fails, you can never go wrong with a classic flannel.

“I really like loose, wide-leg jeans with a flannel and a crop top underneath. I feel like that’s a really cute outfit, and it’s perfect for fall, especially if it’s cooler in the morning and warmer in the afternoon.” – Katelyn Dennis

Bottoms: Baggy Jeans, Corduroys and Work Pants

“Anything wide-leg, baggy or loose is in this season,” she said. “Workwear pants like Carhartts and Dickies are really in right now just because they can go with everything, plus they’re really comfortable and flexible.”

Corduroy pants are another essential in the 19-year-old’s closet. “Corduroy pants are a really cool staple for the fall because they tend to be thicker, so they’re warmer,” she said. “They can also really elevate an outfit.”

Katelyn Dennis in her crop top, flannel and loose jeans at a pumpkin patch (Photo courtesy of Katelyn Dennis)

Shoes: Sneakers and Boots

Athletic sneakers are also trending this fall. Katelyn Dennis described any type of sneaker as always being in, but if you want to have the best outfit on campus, grab yourself a pair of Jordans. “They can really complement your outfit and make it look a lot cooler than it is,” she said.

Boots are another fall must-have. The social media personality recommends Dr. Martens for an edgier look and Blundstones for those who want to stick to the classics. “Blundstones are a really cool staple for fall and winter,” she said. “They’re more like a workwear boot, but you can pair them with literally anything.”

Accessories: Claw Clips, Thick Hoops, Rings and Mini Shoulder Bags

“Accessories are key to making an outfit look cool,” said Katelyn Dennis. She listed both claw clips and thick hoops as being top sellers right now.

Katelyn Dennis’ everyday rings (Photo taken by Katelyn Dennis)

However, her favorite way to accessorize is with rings. “Even if you have a boring outfit, they can really change how your outfit looks,” she said.

Purses are another fun way to spice up your look. The fashion-lover’s personal favorite is the mini shoulder bag. “Mini shoulder bags are really cute for going out or just for everyday life.”

Men’s Fashion

Tops: Sweaters, Crewnecks, Flannels and Hoodies

Like his sister, Christopher Dennis’ favorite shirt to wear this fall is a crewneck. “I’ve seen a lot of people wearing crewnecks and flannels as well as flannels over hoodies,” he said.

Sweaters are also in. For an edgier look, the 19-year-old recommends a distressed sweater.

Christopher Dennis in his flannel and jeans at a pumpkin patch (Photo courtesy of Christopher Dennis)

However, more than the style of shirt, Christopher Dennis says there’s one overarching theme this season: earth tones. “Everything’s in the same color palette: brown, tan, cream, and sometimes a dark green.”

Bottoms: Cuffed Jeans, Loose Trousers, Khakis and Joggers

Christopher Dennis likes wearing cuffed jeans this season.

“My personal favorite is a nice pair of cuffed jeans. They’re comfortable, casual and go with everything.” – Christopher Dennis

He also likes to wear khakis and loose trousers. “A lot of people are wearing loose-fitting trousers in the same tones as the tops.”

Christopher Dennis in his favorite pair of brown trousers (Photo taken by Christopher Dennis)

The social media personality says that a good pair of brown trousers are essential for this time of year. “I just bought some, and I love them,” he said.

However, on colder days, you can never go wrong with a pair of joggers. “I’m a fan of the jogger; they’re very comfortable!”

Shoes: Athletic Sneakers, Boots and Dress Shoes

For men and women alike, athletic sneakers are flying off the shelves. “A lot of people are wearing the Air Jordan 1 right now,” he said. In addition, many college students are going for earth-toned looks with matching sneakers.

However, for a more formal look, the 19-year old recommends oxfords, loafers, or chelsea boots.

Accessories: Watches and Rings

The aspiring influencer says that watches are a timeless staple for men’s fall fashion. “A nice, brown, leather one would go with the brown colors of the tops and pants.”

Recently, a new fashion trend has emerged for men: rings. “Personally, I like wearing rings,” he said. “A lot of guys are starting to wear rings, even if it’s just one or two.”

Christopher Dennis wearing his everyday rings from @estefis_gems (Photo taken by Christopher Dennis)

To see the Dennis Twins’ styles in action, check out their social media accounts.

Instagram: @katelynmdennis, @thriftsbykatelyn and @christophermdennis

TikTok: @katelynmdennis and @christophermdennis