Giving Tuesday

Giving+Tuesday

Giving Tuesday started in 2012, but many have never heard about it. It is the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and Cyber Monday. The idea was created so there’s a day that encourages people to do good. It originally started from hashtag activism, and it’s a “global generosity movement unleashing the power of people and organizations to transform their communities and the world.”

Many people do good by helping others and by donating to organizations. Overall, just help out somehow and be nice on Giving Tuesday. In 2020,

34.8 million people participated in Giving Tuesday which was an increase of 29% compared to 2019 because only 13% of the U.S. population participated. 2021 should be higher than last year. The hashtag for the movement is #GivingTuesday.

The following organizations are some ideas where to begin.

Humane Society of Northeast Georgia is a great place to start. They have created a goal of $30,000 in twenty-four hours to ensure homeless animals in our community receive love and care they need before finding their forever homes.

Giving Tuesday 2021 (funraise.org)

Help children and families facing food insecurity around the world. Hunger rates are unbelievable in Yemen, Somalia, and Ethiopia. Parents live in a panic every day because they do not know if they are able to feed their children. A small donation of $73 can feed up to 24 children for one week. Any amount donated from now until Dec. 31 will be doubled by a generous donor.

Giving Tuesday Match | International Rescue Committee

Atlanta Children’s Shelter has been around since 1986 and their mission is to break the cycle of generational poverty for families facing homelessness by building pathways to long-term self-sufficiency and providing quality early childhood education. They want to see how much can be donated if we all gave on one day. The goal is $24,000 for Giving Tuesday.

Donate Now | #GIVINGTUESDAY by Atlanta Children’s Shelter (givelively.org)

Reproductive health and rights are under attack so make a Giving Tuesday gift to fight back. All gifts will be doubled by a generous donor.

Still fighting. No matter what. (weareplannedparenthoodaction.org)

Empowering a young girl means you have the power to help a girl grow up strong, smart, and bold, giving them the opportunity to break the cycle of poverty.

Empower A Girl! | GAgives

There are so many different charities and organizations you can donate to, but be cautious because some could be scams. The following safety tips on donating are provided by Better Business Bureau Wise Give Alliance.

1. Get the charity’s exact name. With so many charities in existence, mistaken identity is a common problem. Thousands of charities have “cancer” in their name, for example, but have no connection to the fight to cure cancer.

2. Resist pressure to give on the spot, whether from a telemarketer or door-to-door solicitor.

3. Be wary of heart-wrenching appeals. What matters is what the charity is doing to help.

4. Press for specifics. If the charity says it’s helping the homeless, for example, ask how and where it’s working.

5. Check websites for basics. A charity’s mission, program and finances should be available on its site. If not, check for a report at www.give.org.

6. Check with state charity officials. In many states, charities are required to register, usually with the office of the attorney general, before soliciting.

7. Don’t assume that every soliciting organization is tax exempt as a charity. You can readily check an organization’s tax status at: https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/exempt-organizations-select-check

Share and spread awareness for this movement #GivingTuesday!