New Retail Center Coming to Downtown Gainesville

Expected results of the project.
Retrieved from – https://www.ghcc.com/economic-development/retail-development-initiative/

Progress is moving right along as Gainesville Renaissance, a shiny new mixed-use development, is constructed on the square. Once occupied by a parking lot, the plot is now home to the $22.4 million retail and housing project.

The Greater Hall Chamber of Commerce describes it as, “20,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space, eight condominiums and a pocket park. Additionally, the second floor will house Brenau University’s Lynn J. Darby School of Psychology and Adolescent Counseling.”  

While much of the country has seen economic downturn, it seems Gainesville still holds interest for developers. While the city of Gainesville has just over 40,000 people, Hall County is home to over 200,000 and growing at a rate of 14.8%.

Carroll Daniel Construction Company is one of the developers on the project. Their headquarters is one of the newest buildings in town, located directly across Main Street from the Brenau parking garage adjacent to Jesse Jewell Parkway. Gainesville Renaissance is also connected to the parking garage via a bridge.

This new development is meant to reinvigorate the square and bolster the county’s tourism industry, as well as improve the quality of life overall. It will also bring in new sales tax revenue to help the county fund infrastructure and education initiatives.

It will help increase accessibility for pedestrians in the city core, alongside the construction of the previously reported Solis Gainesville, the destination for the Bridge to Nowhere (Somewhere).  

Solis Gainesville will also add retail space, meaning the shopping allure of downtown is finally expanding across its main vehicle corridor. The bridge will finally have a useful purpose.  

Gainesville is moving into the future with these modern developments, increasing density while paying homage to our roots with classic Americana style architecture lining the square with shops.