Recreational Future Of Forsyth County

The city of Cumming held a council meeting on Jan. 18. Among the topics discussed in the meeting was to approve the final plans of construction and parking for the Cumming City Center that is being built on Highway 20.

The Cumming City Center is going to be a mixed-use complex that will include townhomes, retail space, walking trails, amphitheater, mini golf course, and a playground for children.

In addition to all the recreational buildings the city is also expected to build a municipal court and a police station. Both of those buildings are going to be adjacent to the amphitheater and are going to be built to fit the theme of the Cumming City Center.

The project was delayed due to questions of parking and its proximity to Forsyth Central High School.

During the meeting it was finalized that the city center will share its parking lot with the FCHS football field.

It was also mentioned that the city would not own the townhome project and will not put any walking trails in the area. They will be developed by the original owner who decided to make them before the approval of the Cumming City Center.

“I want this city center to have a feel of what things were like in the 1950s.”-Mayor Troy Brumbalow.

He said that the city center being close to FCHS will give the high school students a good place to hang out and “patronize the businesses.”

“Once the city center is complete it will be a great asset to the city of Cumming in bringing visitors form other counties and help boost the revenue of Forsyth County,” said Council Member Christopher Light.

As of Jan. 18, there are 11 businesses that are approved for lease for the city center’s 117,00 square feet of retail space which include restaurants, boutiques, barber shops, and much more. Below are the names of the business that were approved for the Cumming City Center

• Muse Cabin
  • Wright’s Fish and Chips
  • Los Rios Cantina
  • Roxy Moxy and Kings Kids
  • Social Exposure
  • Ten Point Boutique
  • Unique Cuts Atlanta
  • Lily Rose Co
  • Fidelity Sciences, Inc
  • Mary Lucille’s Bakery, Restaurant and Tea Room
  • Vampire Penguin

Jarod Willis, the owner of Vampire Penguin, a shaved snow dessert shop said, “I can’t wait for this to open locally. We have the perfect space at the Cumming City Center and can’t wait to bring this fantastic treat to our hometown.”

“Phase two of the city center is under construction and is on schedule to be completed by the end of the summer,” Light said.