BSU Welcomes YOU

The University of North Georgia has made it their mission to make each student feel included by providing over 200 clubs. One is the Black Student Union (BSU). They have events in school and collaborations with other clubs to show Black and African American history and culture.

BSU has provided a safe haven for many black students and is open for all students to join. The Gainesville and Dahlonega campuses have a BSU club with their own presidents, Desiderio Walker and Deborah Kakou.

The Student Involvement on the UNG website stated that clubs are, “a place where you can try out new skills, learn new ideas, and grow as a person,” therefore, “there is an organization for almost every interest.”

The Gainesville President of BSU opens up about why she’s passionate about the club.

“I think for black students, it’s more of like a space for them to feel comfortable, feel at home.” – Deborah Kakou

She added that it was also “the need for us black students to come together and show more or less in unity… the need to be seen and heard.” Black students are able to have a comfortable environment to have a conversation about being black at UNG during a planned event titled Courageous Conversation.

Over the past semesters, there have been a Halloween Costume Ball, Environmental Club (clean up) and other social events. However, BSU has planned a list of events this semester to focus on the black heritage and show black community.

The school provides a budget to sponsors each club along with advisors to help. With this support, the club is able to have events that showcase black culture. These include collaboration with the Art club to highlight black arts like hair braiding, sculptures, and fabrics.

A legacy panel will be held and keynote speaker, Monica Pearson, are representations for the black community they look forward to having soon. This also includes events to promote and welcome black businesses and creators.

There are social changes happening and students are able to play a role in their own community. Kakou explains how being aware and appreciating minority groups is vital in building unity at UNG.

Knowing that there’s diversity in the group shows how the students are passionate about the club and want to do more. Other students can be a part of BSU and celebrate with them as we enter Black History Month.