UNG Honoring LGBTQ+ History Month

LGBTQ+ History Month originated in 1994 to bring awareness to the history of the gay rights movement. People supporting the LGBTQ+ community celebrate the achievements they have accomplished over the years. LGBTQ+ History Month takes place throughout the entire month of October to honor the establishment of “National Coming Out Day” on Oct. 11. 

“It’s very important for me to understand our roots and to focus on what’s important for our community”- Theadore Zopata, 18-year-old dual enrollment student.

Kyle Murphy, the Associate Director for the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs, said that MSA is celebrating LGBTQ+ History Month through a variety of events to expose and educate the student body and to bring a vision of a more diverse campus within reach.  

MSA advises two LGBTQ+ student organizations, the Gender Sexuality Alliance located on Dahlonega campus and the Spectrum Alliance located on Gainesville Campus. Both these student organizations provide University of North Georgia students a safe space where they can make new friends and learn more about the LGBTQ+ community.  

Murphy said, “This history month is important because it recognizes the impact of LBTQ+ people in the United States. Two important holidays also fall during this month: National Coming Out Day and International Pronouns Day.”

“This is an opportunity to educate students on inclusivity, increase underrepresented student’s sense of belonging and advocate for those who have been marginalized.”  – Kyle Murphy, the Associate Director of MSA

MSA will be hosting two upcoming events for LGBTQ+ History Month. The first event is a tabling event that will take place on Oct. 25 from noon to 1 p.m. at Gainesville and Dahlonega campuses. The event will be located at the second floor of Hoag on the Dahlonega campus, and the student center patio on the Gainesville campus. The second event will be on Oct. 26 at noon including a virtual keynote speaker.

“The purpose for these events is to provide more information about LGBTQ+ history and culture to the UNG students in a fun and interactive format,” Murphy said. 

The Gender Sexuality Alliance student organization have one big upcoming event to celebrate LGBTQ+ history which is the Asexual Awareness Week table. The event will be held on Oct. 24 from 10: 30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on the Hoag patio on the Dahlonega campus.  

The Spectrum Alliance student organization also has a Coming Out the Coffin Drag Show on Oct. 26 from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. The location for the drag show is still to be determined, but students can find more information about this event on the UNG Connect app.