UNG Food Bank: Working to Combat Student Food Insecurity

UNG Staff
The food pantry on Dahlonega Campus.

Recent data from the National Center for Education Statistics uncovers a disturbing trend in higher education: About 4 million students are grappling with food insecurity, underscoring an urgent need for policy intervention and enhanced support systems in U.S. colleges.

This issue is exacerbated by the steady increase in costs associated with higher education including tuition, housing, books and transportation.

At the University of North Georgia, the UNG Food Pantry, a student-driven and non-university-funded initiative, helps prevent hunger among students, staff and faculty.  This underscores a community approach to the well-being of everyone at the University of North Georgia.

To access the pantry, individuals simply need to present their student ID at any UNG campus Food Pantry location to get some help. The pantry’s offerings, dependent on availability, range from perishables and nonperishables to hygiene products, all aimed at providing basic needs. Supported by year-round charitable events and partnership with the Georgia Mountains Food Bank, the UNG Food Pantry illustrates effective community collaboration.

“Collectively, as a strong food bank network, we are working together and sharing resources to keep the supply as ample as possible. This community has responded and supported our efforts in so many big ways,” Kay Blackstock, executive director of the Georgia Mountains Foodbank said.

“We also have a strong partnership and relationship with the Atlanta Community Food Bank that has absolutely provided superior support to our food bank and the 44 partner agencies we now service in five counties here”- Kay Blackstock, Executive Director of the Georgia Mountains Foodbank.

Volunteers play a vital role in the operation of the UNG Food Pantry, offering a way for students to get involved on campus and make a direct impact on their peers. For those interested in volunteering, Carly Redding ([email protected]) is the point of contact for donating time and effort.  Volunteering not only helps the UNG Food Pantry operate but also will allow you to directly impact other students around you.

Addressing basic needs is imperative, especially for those who the system often overlooks. The UNG food bank and its partnerships provide a model of financial solidarity and mutual aid, fostering a community-centric approach to student welfare. All students are encouraged to explore the resources available on their campus.