UNG’s Annual Salsa Making Contest

Lizzy Gordon
A variety of salsas.

The University of North Georgia Nighthawks Entertainment department and Latino Student Association is collaborating to host a salsa making contest Feb. 8 from 11a.m.-2p.m.

The UNG Latino Student Association’s goal is to increase the involvement of Latino students campus-wide. The salsa making contest will hopefully bring more students in and help promote LSA.

All faculty and students are welcome to come out and try different salsas while listening to salsa music.

“What I like most about the Salsa Making Contest is the various number of students that come out and represent different countries all over Latin America. There is no one single recipe that defines an entire culture,” said Mauricio Picazo-Garcia, Latino Student Association President.

This will be UNG’s second annual salsa making contest and students are excited. LSA is expecting a bigger turn out this year since the event is more well-known.

A delicious bowl of salsa. (Lizzy Gordon)

“Students and staff should come to the contest to enjoy complimentary salsa and the environment that is tropical dance music from various Latin American countries. Also, what better way to meet new friends than to dance,” said Picazo-Garcia.

Winners are selected anonymously by a popular vote system from those who attend.

There will be a list of all the ingredients used in each bowl to avoid any allergies or complications. Fresh served juices are available to the public to compliment salsas as well as to aid the spice sensation for those that are lower in tolerance.

“I like it for a variety of reasons. Not only is the contest different but it is interactive for the students. It is super fun.” -Elias Quintero, Nighthawks Entertainment President and Latino Student Association Secretary

There will be an award for the best tasting salsa. Students are welcome to enjoy more salsa after votes have been cast.

“The contest is a great way for students to taste authentic foods from different nations and test their ability to handle spices. I feel there is no better way to bond than over food,” said Pacazo-Garcia.

To sign up to join the heated competition, use the QR code below. To just enjoy free salsa, go to the Robinson Ballroom Feb. 8 for a taste of different cultures.

QR Code for the salsa making contest.