Capturing the Essence of Spring at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens

“I would love to be able to come back and see how things have changed and the colors have shifted. We are both artists, so we are really drawn to the things with really beautiful colors and shapes,”

— Erica Moore, visiting from South Carolina.

The Atlanta Botanical Gardens dazzles with bright blooms and beautiful landscapes as the essence of spring comes to life. The Atlanta Botanical Gardens in Gainesville is 185-acre outdoor museum of living plant collections designed to connect visitors with the natural world and cultural amenities.

The garden was donated by philanthropists Lessie Smithgall and her late husband Charles in 2001. After Charles passed away in 2003, Smithgall lived on the homestead until she died at the age of 110. The initial $21 million phase opened May 2, 2015, to include a visitor center, amphitheater and five acres of display gardens featuring nationally recognized plant collections.

Future phases will include an interactive children’s garden, a plant conservation nursery and a student training and education center. When it’s fully developed, the site will allow the Atlanta Botanical Garden to broaden its conservation efforts with endangered plant species.

“We’ve always wanted to give this place a shot and I really love botanical gardens. This place is honestly really beautiful. I love the Sangria Tulips and Peonies. It’s just a really great place to catch up and hang out,” says Erica Moore from Clemson, South Carolina.

It’s a haven of beauty for seasoned gardeners, nature enthusiasts and those who are simply looking for a peaceful retreat this spring. The gardens offer a memorable experience for all ages.

“I’ve seen the downtown Atlanta Botanical Gardens and I know they are owned by the same company, so I wanted to check this place out. It’s so nice and really beautiful outside today. It’s definitely smaller but there’s a lot more flowers than the Atlanta one. I really love the Hydrangeas. They look like fluffy little cotton balls with flower petals,” says Sarah Thompson from Duluth.

Seasonal hours vary, open now through Oct. 31. Admission is $14.95 for adults and $12.95 for children with an option for a Garden Membership.