Highlighting a Hometown Hero

Gainesville Mayor Sam Couvillon
DeAnna Mayfield

The way I look at being a leader is being willing to do the job. You don’t have to be the most knowledgeable. Know who you are, let the person that you are fit into that position.

— Mayor of Gainesville, Sam Couvillon

Sam Couvillon is a prominent figure in Gainesville serving as the mayor since 2022. Originally from Watkinsville, he made the decision to move to his wife’s hometown of Gainesville in 2009. He is actively involved in the community and has held various positions of leadership. As mayor, Couvillon presides over meetings of the Gainesville City Council, serves as a spokesperson for the city, and leads ceremonial activities.

“I tell people its kind of in my blood. The first time I ever ran for something I was in middle school, 8th grade student body president,” says Couvillon. He describes himself as a doer, and a genuinely empathetic person who takes pride in representing the people of Gainesville and never backs down from a conversation.

In addition to his role as mayor, Couvillon works as a partner with Norton Agency Insurance’s Employee Benefits Division. Prior to this, he was a benefits agent with Turner, Wood & Smith Insurance and worked in the Athens and Gainesville markets for a national firm. Couvillon started his career in insurance in 2002 in Jacksonville, Florida, after graduating from the University of Georgia with a communications degree in 1994. He was elected to the Gainesville City Council in 2013.

Aside from his professional achievements, Couvillon is actively involved in various community organizations and boards. He has served on the board of the United Way of Hall County and the Department of Family and Children Services. Couvillon is also involved with the Kiwanis Club of Gainesville, Boy Scouts, UGA Alumni Association, and Greater Hall Chamber of Commerce.

Sam Couvillon is a natural and dedicated leader and community member who has made significant contributions to Gainesville. “We have implemented programs like a tax allocation district incentivizing people to come here and do business with us. We started redeveloping old businesses and are looking forward to continuing the Highlands to Islands Trails,” he says. By the end of the year it will have over 11 miles of continuous trails. They are looking forward to possibly increasing that to 26 miles over the next 10 years. The mayor is also passionate about the issue of affordable housing in Gainesville. He is actively working with developers and the Gainesville Housing Authority on projects that will provide more affordable housing for public service workers and teachers.

Couvillon and his wife, Margie, have two daughters named Sarah Grace and Molly. He has been recognized for his contributions to the insurance industry and was named the Insurance Man of the Year by the Insurance Professionals of Gainesville in 2015. Couvillon is a graduate of Leadership Hall County, Class of 2014. When he isn’t working with his constituents, he is out supporting local businesses, catching a concert in the downtown square and spending time with his family. He has high aspirations for the future of Gainesville and his political career.