New Years or Pandemic Resolutions?

Every year, millions of people across the globe set goals and resolutions for themselves for the new year ahead of them. However, those resolutions might look a little different for 2021.

With the on-going pandemic, and spending half a year in quarantine, people’s goals and

The sunrise for me, symbolizes a rebirth, a new day to be great.

mindsets have changed. We always hear the basic resolutions of wanting to lose weight, eating healthier, working out more, spending less time on social media, etc. This year, they look a little different. More people are focusing on their mindfulness, spirituality and being kinder to themselves. Along with COVID-19 still in full swing, people have also faced many personal struggles physically, mentally, and emotionally.

“…I wanted to pick something that was kind to myself and made me feel better…” -Emma Brink

Georgia College alum Emma Brink was no stranger to many difficult obstacles 2020 threw her way. “Instead of choosing really specific resolutions this year I tried to choose something more overarching and achievable” stated Brink.

Emma shared her heartbreaking story and explained why her resolution is “Do more things that make me happy”.

“In 2020, I had to drop out of my dream grad school due to health issues, and then my fiancé was in a bad burn accident and I had to become his primary caregiver/nurse” Brink explained.

Furthermore, these events plus the pandemic, Brink took a step back and dug deeper to make 2021 a better year for herself. “…I really had to re-evaluate what matters most to me and what I can control in order to make my goals/dreams become reality.”

Michelle Guthrie of Cumming has been working at home since the pandemic first broke out last year and it has given her some new perspective.

“I want to move more and be able to focus on one thing at time” stated Guthrie of her resolutions for this year. Due to working at home for almost a year now and not ever really leaving the house, it has impacted Guthrie’s goals by a milestone.

“I’m walking three times a week and I bought a Peloton so I can workout at home safely and not at gym”.

Finding alternatives to being able to achieve the small goals you set safely is a challenge.

This year is dedicated to recovering from 2020, setting goals and becoming the best version of ourselves that we can be.