Students have a wide variety of opinions on how UNG is handling Covid-19

Maskless students congregate in student center

Despite the fact that Covid-19 is the worst it has ever been in America right now, the University of North Georgia is trying to open up and return to as normal as possible. Students at UNG have been giving their thoughts on how well the school is handling reopening, with a wide variety of opinions being offered about the decisions the school has made so far. 

The plan that UNG has for the spring 2021 semester is different from fall 2020 in a plethora of ways. Mainly, UNG is going to be offering hybrid classes, which are 50% online and 50% in person, instead of fully online courses. The school is also reopening certain clubs and organizations as well as certain areas on campus that were closed during fall of 2020. 

Some students believe that the school is handling the reopening process well and taking proper safety precautions. Daniel Barker, junior computer science major, believes that UNG is “limiting what they have to, but at the same time, doing as much as it can and really trying to make things go back to normal”.

“UNG is doing the best that it can with the circumstances it’s been given,” said Barker. 

Despite Barker’s praise of how the school has been handling Covid-19, not all students share his view. Madison Harner, sophomore psychology major, said that “the school really isn’t being as sanitary as it could be, like I kinda wish they would wipe down chairs and tables and stuff more often. I also kinda feel like they may be opening up too much too soon, we may just not be ready as far as Covid goes”. 

Katelyn Butler, junior business major, echoed opinions that closely resembled Harner’s, as well as expressing a sentiment of her own of how the school can sometimes be misinformed on Covid-19 and that they should “try to be more educated on the facts of Covid. We have heard multiple things from them about Covid and they have sometimes given us false information”. 

Students at UNG have been paying close attention to the school’s actions regarding Covid-19 and its efforts to stay as safe as possible while reopening as much as possible. As much of a mix of opinions there are as to how well the school is accomplishing this, students are definitely paying attention to how the school is responding to the virus.