MLB Hall of Fame Class of 2021 Controversy

The MLB has such rich history that dates back hundreds of years. They have always been the staple of how to play the game the right way. Recently in the sport there has been plenty of drama with some of the game’s greats who didn’t necessarily follow these rules and now they’re paying for it. It was the first time since 2013 that no one will join this year’s hall of fame, this is only the ninth time this has ever happened. Many people are beginning to question whether the MLB Hall of Fame is losing its credibility. This year’s class featured Barry Bonds, Curt Schilling, and Roger Clemens, who are all thought to be first ballot hall of famers based on their talent alone, as some would say some of the best to ever play the game, but it’s their baggage and questionable history that is stalling them from being inducted.

In order to join the hall of fame players are voted on by baseball writers and selected others by the league itself. There is a strict criteria these voters must follow when considering voting on a player. When voting they must take into consideration what positive impact a player has had on the game on and off the field. To become eligible for the voting committee a player must be retired for at least five years and played a total of 10 seasons. To make the hall of fame a player must receive a total of 75% of the votes and if a player receives 5% or less they are removed from the ballot and not eligible to rejoin again for 16 years. Bonds, Schilling, and Clemens all led the players on this year’s ballot, but remained just shy of the 75% total needed. All three have just one remaining year left before they must wait 16 years to once again be put back on the ballot.

Bonds is regarded by many as one of the best to ever swing a bat. He leads the league in career homeruns at 762 passing hall of fame great Hank Aaron at 755, during his final 2007 year campaign. This record doesn’t come without controversy as Bonds along with many other players is suspected of taking performance enhancing drugs (PEDs). It had been suspected that later in Bonds’s career he was taking banned substances in his 2003 year up until his retirement. Although he was never proven guilty, year after year he was being investigated and taken to court to prove whether or not he was taking substances. To this day people still believe different as there is an asterisk on his league breaking homerun record ball hit in the Cooperstown where the Hall of Fame is located.

Schilling finished his career 15th in MLB history in strikeouts with both a league and World Series MVP, but his off the field antics is what could keep him joining. Schilling worked as an ESPN baseball commentator but was released in 2016 after controversial social media remarks over transgenders, Muslims, and gays. Some believe this killed any chance of him making the hall of fame as although he put up great numbers throughout his career no one thought of him as a dominate player and one of the all-time greats.

Clemens is one of the best players to ever pitch a baseball and his resume speaks for itself. He finished his career with 7 CY Young Awards, 2 Triple Crowns, 1 MVP, 2 World Series, and holds the record for most strikeouts in a game by a pitcher with 20 which he did twice. Clemens controversy stems from on and off the field issues with legal troubles. Clemens was involved in the PED troubles with Bonds after many claims he was using steroids. He was also proven not guilt against these accusations and vehemently denied the use of any drugs. In 2008, Clemens was suspected of having multiple affairs and a relationship with country singer Mindy McCready who was 15 at the time. He denied these allegations and claimed she was just a family friend. He was also reported to being involved with two other women.

It is up for great debate whether these players should make the MLB Hall of Fame, but no one can deny their talent whether using PEDs or not.