Unified Greek Council Introduced to Represent Gender-Inclusive Greek Organizations

Photograph by Wayne Hsieh (https://www.flickr.com/photos/whsieh78/7339806162) CC BY-NC-SA 2.0

A group of dedicated leaders from several organizations have been working all semester to create the Unified Greek Council, and they’ve finally succeeded.

Currently, sororities and fraternities in UNG’s Fraternity and Sorority Life (FSL) community are represented by two separate councils: The Panhellenic Council for sororities and the Interfraternity Council (IFC) for fraternities.

There are some Greek organizations on UNG’s campuses, however, that are involved in the FSL community but are not a part of Panhellenic or IFC due to their gender-inclusive status.

This is where the Unified Greek Council, or the UGC, will get involved.

They will offer the same support that other fraternities and sororities are receiving from Panhellenic and IFC to the Greek organizations outside of these councils.

Sidney Martin, the president and one of the founding leaders of UGC said, “I look forward to being able to encourage growth and positive change within the entire FSL community.”

The UGC hopes to translate the needs of these organizations not only to the FSL, but also to upper administration of UNG.

This will help these organizations with recruitment and membership, as well as offer education to members on topics such as mental health and professional development.

The UGC will also give new organizations who are hoping to form at UNG a place to find support throughout the colonization process.

The purpose of the UGC constitution reads, “The objects of the Unified Greek Council shall be to advocate, develop, and support our member organizations to encourage continued growth and stability.”

The organizations that will currently be supported by the UGC are Gamma Sigma Sigma, a national service sorority, Mu Phi Epsilon, an international professional music fraternity, and Phi Sigma Pi, a national honor fraternity. All of these are newer members of the FSL community.

“I’m excited for the opportunities this council will bring to these organizations and can’t wait to see the impact it has on not only the organizations as a whole, but to every individual member.”- Sidney Martin.

There will be a welcome celebration and town hall event hosted by UGC next week for all members of the organizations involved.

The Unified Greek Council’s current executive board consists of several founding members, including Sidney Martin, Isabel Chanonhouse, Macy Griffin, Grace Murphy, Anna Chitwood, and Kayla Creech.

“This year has been tough on everyone, and I’m proud to have the UGC be a beacon of hope to allow for regrowth and representation.”