UberEats Driver Killed After Carjacking Attempt

An UberEats delivery driver was killed in Washington D.C. when two teenage girls assaulted him with a stun gun and attempted to steal his car.

Mohammad Anwar was working in the Navy Yard area of Washington D.C. when the girls got into his Honda Accord.

After being assaulted with the stun gun, Anwar was halfway in the driver’s side door when the girls stepped on the gas pedal and shot the car forward, dragging him along.

Just seconds later, the car crashed and flipped onto its side, throwing Anwar from the car and onto the sidewalk in front of Nationals Park.

He was pronounced dead on arrival after sustaining head trauma and broken bones.

After being saved from the car by National Guardsmen, the girls were arrested at the scene and charged with felony murder and carjacking.

They both plead “not involved” to the charges, which is the equivalent for juveniles to “not guilty.”

As of April 8, the girls have reached a plea deal with the prosecutors.

This deal ensures that the girls will not be placed in a prison facility and will not be held past the age of 21.

After the video of the crash went viral, many called for the teenage girls to be tried as adults; however, that will not be happening.

Washington D.C. law does not allow 13-year-olds to be tried as adults and the prosecutor did not express any interest in attempting to try the 15-year-old as an adult.

The next court date is set for April 20 to discuss the status of the case.

Mohammad Anwar was a 66-year-old described as “a beloved husband, father, grandfather, uncle, and friend who always provided a smile when you needed one.”

He was a Pakistani immigrant who came to the United States in 2014 “to create a better life for him and his family,” according to the GoFundMe set up on behalf of the family.

As of April 12, the GoFundMe page has over 30,500 donations and has raised more than $1 million to cover the costs of a funeral and to provide for his wife, children, and grandchildren.

The teenage girls were a 13-year-old from southeast Washington D.C. and a 15-year-old from Fort Washington, MD. Their names have not been released, as they are minors.

This case has highlighted the increase in carjackings this year, including in Atlanta.

There have been 922 auto thefts so far in 2021, up from only 714 in the same time span in 2020, a 29% increase, according to the Atlanta Police Department’s Weekly Crime Report.