UNG Students Voice Their Opinions On The School Beginning To Reopen

As more and more COVID-19 vaccines are being distributed, the University of North Georgia has begun to reopen since the fall 2020 semester, hosting more in-person activities and events on campus.

This decision by the school has garnered a fair amount of controversy, as there are differing opinions on how safe the decision to host in-person events currently is. 

Rocco Ranallo, junior computer science major, expressed excitement about UNG hosting more in-person events, “I feel good that UNG is beginning to open things up more and do more in-person events. We’re making steady progress with the vaccine and I’d like to think that we’re starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel as far as COVID-19 goes, which makes me feel better about the school opening up more.”

“Our school has been using caution when opening up, which makes me feel a lot safer about their decision to do so.”- Rocco Ranallo

Daniel Barker, junior math major, holds similarly positive views about the school reopening. “I think that they’re being conscious about COVID-19 and only doing activities that are socially distant and safe. As long as the school keeps being conscious of safety, I think that there’s nothing wrong with doing more in-person activities,” said Barker.

However, not everyone shares the same sentiments about the school progressively reopening. Adam Herring, junior business major, has concerns that the school may be reopening too quickly and is not handling COVID-19 with as much caution necessary.

“It kind of seems like UNG is just trying to appease everyone by hosting the kind of in-person stuff they’ve been doing. Don’t get me wrong, I want everything to return to normal as quickly as possible, but at the same time, only if it’s safe,” Herring said.