Women’s Basketball: Ready for the Season

Picture Courtesy of @UNGWBB Twitter

Even though COVID-19 has taken a lot away from many, sports are something that has kept people positive. With the new school year comes all of the Nighthawk sports, including women’s basketball players who are hopeful for a more normal season. 

Even though the Lady Nighthawks do not start regular season play until November, they have been working all summer and started preseason on Aug. 30 which will last until their first official practice on Oct. 16. “We are very excited for the season. We have some great returners and new transfers/freshmen,” said redshirt senior Anna Claire Atha. The team just finished up a week that they refer to as “Dawg Week” where they were lead by a military colonel through different events and challenges to test their physical abilities as well as help the team bond. Atha said, “Preseason is about preparing ourselves the best we can for the season”. During preseason, the team will continue working out, practicing 3 hours a week, and playing pickup with each other when they have time. 

Atha says the team has not been too affected by COVID-19 thus far. “Unfortunately we can’t predict the future but we do try and do our best about being smart in public places,” said Atha. The team’s protocols consist of regular testing for unvaccinated individuals. “Last year we had a few situations of positive tests and contact tracing so we are hoping to avoid that as much as possible this year.”

The team hopes to have fewer positive tests throughout the season so they can continue to play as a team. For the fans, there have not been any announcements on protocols yet but it will vary at every arena the team plays in.

“We are also hoping and excited for a return to normalcy in comparison to last season.” – Anna Claire Atha

The team’s hard work in the off-season will be put to the test in an exhibition game against Georgia College on Nov. 1 and then in a conference challenge at home on Nov. 12. “We lost in the regional final last year and I think since then, we have had a bad taste in our mouth and are ready to build on that this year,” Atha said.

The team finished with 18 wins and 2 losses last year with a few canceled games throughout. This year the team will not only play within the Peach Belt Conference as they did last year, but they also have a few teams already scheduled outside of it.

Be sure to keep up with the Lady Nighthawks season by following their Twitter, @UNGWBB