Squid Games: Be Rich or Die Trying

Squid Games, a Netflix original, has been a fantastic payoff due to the fact they invested over $500 million in assets towards Korean entertainment in 2021. According to Netflix, the series is projected to surpass Bridgerton as the most viewed show in their history.

The creator of Squid Games Hwang Dong-hyuk has been attempting to get the show onto the air for over 10 years. The rejection of the tv show pitch by different studios eventually paused the writing process as Hwang was forced to sell his laptop for financial reasons. The show is based on the economic indifferences that the creator experienced in South Korea throughout his life.

The squid games are a challenge between 456 contestants that compete to win a cash prize. The prize increases with the elimination of each contestant and it amounts to $45 billion won or $40 million USD. The contestant competes in a series of children’s games such as tug-o-war, red light-green light, and more.

The protagonist Seong Gi-hun is in a lot of gambling debt before entering the games, he is shown as a degenerate gambler who lives with his mother. Seong eventually finds himself playing in a game of Ddakji, this is a pretrial to the squid games because it shows how willing of a competitor he would be.

Once Seong is involved with the games, the show takes a dark turn as the contestants begin to compete for the prize with their lives. The games seem to be trivial as they begin but eventually, each contestant understands you need brawn as well as brains to win.

A side plot takes place alongside the main plot of the series and intensifies throughout each episode. Throughout the process, we learn that the squid games have occurred for many years and appear to show no sign of slowing down.

The first season ends on a cliffhanger involving Seong, so it is assumed that after much success, there will be a season two in the discussion.

The Squid Games are filmed in an aspect ratio of 1.78:1 and are in a printed film format of 4k. The series includes a wide variety of shots but the scenes including medium close-ups and longshots seem some of the most intense moments among the characters. Throughout the series, one of the most used shots is the close-up as it shows the fear among the contestants and the blank expressions of those who run the games.

Iconic scenes such as the giant girl statue, used for red light-green light, or the old man sitting in the corner, have become popular memes on social media. On top of that, a large number of individuals are looking to dress as a contestant or a guard this upcoming Halloween.

The Squid Games are becoming a popular reference so get on board before you’re eliminated from the conversation.