SGA Works to Hold Professors Accountable

As a math and chemistry tutor, Dahlonega Student Government Association Vice President Gina Diodati has heard stories firsthand from students who are struggling to stay on top of their work this semester. Diodati shared her concerns to her SGA counterparts and UNG President Bonita Jacobs on Friday, Nov. 5.

“Our role is to advocate for all students on campus, and I strongly believe that mission goes hand in hand with ensuring that they have the tools they need to succeed,” said Diodati.

Due to the pandemic, work schedules, and other commitments, this semester has been challenging for students and faculty alike. Diodati said, according to students she had talked to, professors refused to provide lecture materials, virtual access to class, or the opportunity to take any missed quizzes or tests. Some professors will not budge.

“Their professors have either not been willing to accommodate those students unable to attend class, or in some cases, have accused them of lying about their exposure.” – Gina Diodati

Some students were forced to withdraw. Diodati is currently working with SGA and Academic Affairs to discuss ways for faculty to make their materials more readily accessible for students, especially those negatively impacted by COVID-19.

“We as SGA understand and have sympathy for all faculty and students alike who are under pressure and facing unprecedented times,” said Diodati.

Madelyn Nicholas, a student on the Gainesville campus, said the majority of her professors have been helpful despite being her absences. 

“I miss a lot of classes due to my disability, but on top of that I’ve had to quarantine a few times due to exposure to COVID this semester as well,” Nicholas said.

Most of her professors are lenient especially during the pandemic. However, one professor is not as helpful, and does not make the effort to support or contact her, she said. 

“I basically make up the assignments I miss and then just have to hope that he’ll accept them for credit, because he never lets me know if he will or won’t. He doesn’t respond to the majority of my emails either.” – Madelyn Nicholas

In a recent Instagram poll, SGA asked students if their professors provided resources to help them to stay on track despite absences from quarantine or illness. The results were telling. The post was seen by 52 people on the SGA Instagram page and 56% percent of those who participated said no.

Students are encouraged to attend their campus SGA meetings and reach out via social media @ungsga or [email protected] if they have faced similar situations with their professors.