Women’s Basketball Stays Undefeated

Picture+taken+from+%40UNGWBB+Twitter+
Picture taken from @UNGWBB Twitter

The University of North Georgia women’s basketball team is off to a strong start. The team is currently 6-0 after a big overtime win last week over West Georgia. 

“The West Georgia game was a really good road test for us. We pulled out the win, but we still have a lot of work to do before we start conference play. I’m looking forward to what we accomplish this season,” said junior Macey Gregg. 

At the end of regulation, the teams were tied 67-67. The Lady Nighthawks pulled away during overtime when they hit two three-pointers and went five for six in the paint. The team was led with 20 points from senior guard Jamari McDavid. She was closely followed by senior forward Julianne Sutton who had 17 points and sophomore guard Caroline Martin who had 16. 

“The West Georgia game was not our best game but seeing how this team fought to pull out a win made me very proud,” said Sutton. 

The team will play Tusculum University on Dec. 8. They start conference play in the Peachbelt Conference on Dec. 11 against Georgia College who currently has a 2-4 record with wins over Southern Wesleyan and Valdosta State. 

The Lady Nighthawks hope to keep their undefeated record as well as improve as they move on through the season. 

“Every game we have to leave everything we have out there since we are having a lot of success,” said junior forward Chloe Savage. 

The team ended with an 18-2 record last season, with their second loss being to Lander University in the second game of the Division II Championships. This year they hope to end with a higher-ranked finish in the championships. 

“This team is really special. We all care about each other and want to see each other succeed,” said Sutton. “This team finds a way to win and I think part of that is because we want to win for each other.”