Player Spotlight: Women’s Basketball Player Julianne Sutton

Julianne Sutton is a senior at the University of North Georgia’s Dahlonega campus who has been playing basketball for the Nighthawks since she began her college career in 2017.

Sutton began playing basketball when she was just five years old. She was very shy as a child and she said that basketball helped her, “come out of the shell.” She later went to Flowery Branch High School where she played basketball for all four years and was offered to play for UNG. Sutton said, “As soon as I stepped on campus, I felt like it was home. I felt God telling me that this was where He wanted me to be.”Photo of Julianne Sutton

Over the years, Sutton has formed a close bond with her teammates. “My favorite part about playing college basketball are the relationships and friendships that I have made with my teammates, coaches, and other student-athletes,” Sutton said. “My teammates are some of my closest friends and I will continue to have that friendship even after I leave here.”

Sutton was a senior in 2020 hoping to play her last full season of basketball in the fall. However, the COVID-19 pandemic prevented the 2020 fall sports season from taking place. Sutton said, “The uncertainty of not getting to play or even have a season was really hard. I had to trust in God’s plan for my future and I knew He had a plan.”

In the fall of 2020, the NCAA made a statement saying, “As of October, all three Division levels have granted fall and winter sport athletes an extra year of eligibility, whether they compete in the 2020-21 season or not.” Sutton was relieved that her senior season would not be taken away from her and she would be able to play for an extra year. She said, “I was very thankful when the NCAA gave student-athletes the chance to have another year of eligibility.”

“I don’t want to take anything for granted and I’m very thankful to have one more year wearing 42 for the University of North Georgia.” – Julianne Sutton

Sutton pushed back her graduation to be able to play this fall. She quickly added more classes to her schedule so she could have a true senior season with her team. She said, “My senior year has been amazing so far. I’m just trying to take everything day by day and soak in all the memories.”

Sutton was named the Peach Belt Conference Player of the Week on Nov. 22.

In the Lady Nighthawk’s last game, Sutton put up 17 points against West Georgia where UNG accomplished an overtime victory, 82-79. The number-four-ranked Nighthawks are undefeated and will play their next game at Tusculum University on Dec. 8 at 5:30 p.m.

View Comments (1)