Success is Free At UNG

After two weeks of resumption at all University of North Georgia campuses, some students still struggle to get back into the mode of face-to-face learning. All the while juggling work, life, and growing COVID-19 cases.

UNG has provided resources to support students in their academic and physical needs. One of these resources is the Learning and Tutoring Center which can be found on each campus. Students are able to walk in or book an appointment to receive extra help with any class for free. The LTC has tutors for math, accounting, writing, and any other areas of learning in which students might face difficulties.

Not only are the students’ educational needs met, but also their physical needs. Nigel’s Nest is a food pantry that offers food, school supplies, and essential utilities that have been donated to help students at no cost. All one has to do is bring their student ID.

Senior at UNG, Maria Anifowose, shared her experiences about school moving from face-to-face to online, and now recently, back to face-to-face. She pointed out that success in your academics starts from understanding the content in class.

Professors make it their mission to help each student. She said, “having such great professors made me confident that I will succeed because I know that help is along the way.” Knowing this helped her survive every school semester and pass her classes. Professors are available during office hours and are very responsive to a student’s email.

“UNG excels in that area of having professors who are willing to go with you on the journey to achieve your greatest potential.” – Maria Anifowose

The Academic Success Coach Zach Thrift at the Oconee campus assists students in their academic journey. He can meet them once a semester or as often as every week. This is to see that the students are progressing in their classes in order to reach their goals.

Students are able to create academic success plans and SMART goals.

S: Specific- What do you specifically want to accomplish?

M: Measurable- How will you measure success?

A: Attainable- Do you have the resources to do this?

R: Relevant- Why is it important to complete?

T: Timely- By what date will this be accomplished?

Study skills, test-taking strategies, and even help with time management are brought up in personal meetings. Time management becomes essential in order to balance school and social life. Whether listening to music for an hour before studying or putting your phone in a different room, prioritizing your time can help reduce stress.

Thrift advises students that “being proactive instead of reactive and being the biggest advocate for your educational needs” is very important in order to be successful. If you need extra help from your professor or the LTC, it is free and available for students at any time.

Don’t struggle alone this school semester, review the resources that UNG provides on the website and know who to contact regarding certain issues that might come up in your academic journey.