Dawgs Bite Down on the Curse

Dawgs Bite Down on the Curse

The Georgia Bulldogs have earned their first National title in 41 years after defeating Alabama 33 to 18 in the National Championship on Monday, Jan. 10. The University of Georgia are finally National champions as the Georgia Bulldogs took down the Alabama Crimson Tide in the 2021 CFP National Championship game. 

Not only did Georgia win the program’s first championship title since the 1980 season, but they also beat the Crimson Tide for the first time since 2007. Head coach Kirby Smart also prevailed over Nick Saban for the first time head-to-head. This is a monumental moment for the UGA fanbase and community.

They have broken the curse, conquered a drought and put an end to the losing streak against the Alabama rival. All the years of heartbreak and disappointment are worth it now that the UGA has been crowned the 2021 College Football National Champions. 

“I just love everything about this place and I wanted to win a National Championship here.” – Georgia Quarterback Stetson Bennett

Throughout most of their season Georgia sat at number one in the country until the SEC Championship game on Dec. 4 when they lost to Alabama 41 to 24. However, the Georgia Bulldogs bounced right back in the Orange Bowl playoff semifinal with a 34 to 11 win over Michigan. That win secured a spot in the CFP National Championship and determined their fate.

“What a special moment for the University of Georgia and what a special moment for this team,”  said Coach Kirby Smart in a televised interview after the game.

Most of the sport experts attribute Georgia’s National Championship season to their defense, which is considered one of the best in college football history. With that being said, Georgia’s defense broke the record for average number of points given up per game over the course of an entire season.

This record was previously held by Alabama. It is expected that many of the players from UGA will be drafted in the NFL this year. 

The Bulldog nation has been so hungry to win a National Championship that the excitement of finally winning has turned into a whirlwind of emotions. The weight that this victory holds is absolutely indescribable. The fans have been nothing but supportive of this team over the years and the reward of achieving their goal has reduced people to tears.

The fans could not even wait to fill the streets of Athens to celebrate their team’s success. Three words to depict what this triumph means to the Bulldog nation are relief, gratitude and euphoria.