Women Who Made History

Women’s History Month is here, and what better way to get started than commemorating some influential women who made history.

Film:

(1879-1939)Lois Weber was an American silent film actress and director. She directed more than 138 films and became the first American woman to direct a feature-length film- “The Merchant of Venice.” In 1916, she was the first woman elected to the Motion Picture Directors Association.

(1951-Present) Kathryn Bigelow was the first female director to win an Oscar, The Director Guild of America Award for Outstanding Directing, and the BAFTA Award for Best Directions for her movie “The Hurt Locker.”

(1944 – Present) Sherry Lansing was the first woman to head a major film studio-20th Century Fox and served as Chairman and CEO of Paramount Pictures.

Authors:

(1755-1817) Jane Austen is a famous British author who created relatable characters. Austen created a new style of writing that influenced society. Her most popular works included “Pride and Prejudice,” “Mansfield Park,” and “Northanger Abbey.”

(1928-2014) Maya Angelou was a poet, actor, dancer, screenwriter, singer, and civil rights activist. Angelou’s work inspired others, especially when she shared her hardship growing up in her autobiography “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings,” in 1969. She was also the first Black woman to write a screenplay for a major film release. She was the first woman and African American to recite a poem for the U.S Inauguration in 1993.

Sports:

(1997- Present) Simone Biles is a U.S. gymnast with a combined total of 32 Olympic and world championship medals. Biles is considered one of the best gymnasts in the nation by being the first to win three consecutive world all-around titles. Biles is a woman who knows no boundaries by landing the most challenging move, the Yurchenko double pike.

(1991- Present) Blake Bolden

According to Sports Illustrated, Bolden became the first Black woman to play professional hockey and has earned a three-time NHL All-Star and the 2019 Defensive Player of the Year.

(1981- Present) Serena Williams is a famous and talented athlete- the face of tennis. She has a total of 23 Grand Slams.

These are some examples of women who created legacies in their careers. There could be pages dedicated to influential women worldwide and everything they have accomplished. This month, take the time to remember and appreciate the women who created history.