The University of North Georgia's Student Newspaper




Spook-History: The Origins of Halloween


What started as an ancient Celtic Festival of Samhain has now grown into what we know as Halloween. This festival was a part of a pagan religious festival where those that participated believed that barriers between the physical and spiritual world broke down allowing humans to interact with the other worlds. It also signified as the start of harvest, and is now an annual celebration commemorated by many people as a day of wearing costumes, trick-or-treating, and other festive activities.

Halloween is a time for people to dress up, carve pumpkins, and eat an unhealthy amount of candy. Some prefer to purposefully put themselves through emotional rollercoasters by going to haunted houses and watching horror movies.

“I like hanging out with my friends and having Halloween parties, it’s an opportunity to be around people and dress up” -Vanna Hogan, Junior at UNG 

Despite the rising popularity of the celebration, Halloween is still not considered a national holiday that allows students and workers the day off. It has become a tradition in many households, hence why 69% of University of North Georgia students believe that it should become a national holiday.

Halloween Decorations at Walmart PC: Maria Jaiyeola

Although it is observed on Oct. 31, many people start preparing for it as early as September. While 37% of UNG students believe that September is too early to put up Halloween decorations, the other 63% believe it is the perfect time. UNG Student, Jennifer Muller said “Anything ‘Nightmare Before Christmas’ is important in preparing for Halloween.”

In a recent survey, UNG students have shared some of the essential decorations that one must have, these include: pumpkins, skeletons, spiderwebs, Jack-o-Lanterns, candles, orange lights, bats, and skulls. 

 Today, Halloween continues to be a controversial topic. While some have taken the observance of Halloween as a tradition in their households, some religious beliefs, mainly Christians, claim Halloween is satanic and revolves around demonic spirits. wrote in their article Halloween 2022 that “each one of these Halloween superstitions relies on the goodwill of the very same ‘spirits’ whose presence the early Celts felt so keenly.” Since Halloween is filled with superstitions, rumors of magics and mysteries, it is avoided by some groups of people, while others find it fun. 

Leave a Comment
Donate to Vanguard

Your donation will support the student journalists of University of North Georgia. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

More to Discover
About the Contributor
Maria Jaiyeola, Staff Editor
Hi! My name is Maria and I'm from UNG's Gainesville campus. My major is Communications with the concentration of Multimedia Journalism. I enjoy writing for Vanguard because as an aspiring journalist, it allows me to connect with people, hear their stories, and know whats going on around me. I want to be able to bring awareness with any platform I'm given. I can't wait to see what amazing stories come up.
Donate to Vanguard

Comments (0)

All Vanguard Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Activate Search
Spook-History: The Origins of Halloween