Fentanyl: All Trick No Treat

A new drug is out with a higher risk addiction, dependency, and side effects which could lead to death. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, fentanyl is 50 times stronger than heroin and 100 times stronger than morphine, making it one of the highest contributors to overdoses in the U.S.

Effects like short-term high and temporary feelings of euphoria make users crave it, but just a little can make them experience slowed respiration, reduced blood pressure, nausea, fainting, seizures, and even death.

The drug is being distributed in plain sight, even at local Narcotics Anonymous meetings, where people are trying to recover from drugs. It can be sold at gas stations, hotels, and even rehabs with various street names like: Apace, China Girl, China Town, China White, Dance Fever, Goodfellas, Great Bear, He-Man, Poison and Tango & Cash.

“The war on drugs has always been an issue. Sadly, fentanyl is the new high people are chasing. Stay away and if you see someone on drugs, try to get them help, or speak to them.” – CSO Trixsy Hidalgo, Felony Probation Officer at GPO

CSO Hidalgo, recently witnessed a young man overdose on fentanyl and was able to be revived, she said, “That doesn’t happen too often.” Young adults and people as old as in their 60s have been taken in for the distribution and consumption of the drug.

Two types of fentanyl have been identified. The first is pharmaceutical fentanyl, which is usually prescribed by doctors after a major surgery or to treat severe pains. The other is illicitly manufactured fentanyl, which is what is being distributed in illegal drug markets.

Both types of fentanyl are listed as synthetic opioids, however, the distribution of IMF has a stronger heroin effect and adding just a little bit to other drugs makes it have a stronger effect. It can either be in liquid form or powder, making it easier to mix into other drugs like heroin, cocaine, and methamphetamine. It is then shaped to resemble prescription drugs.

This is extremely dangerous due to people not knowing their prescription drugs are laced with the substance, especially during Halloween that many people will be consuming candy given from strangers. The rainbow IMF is being distributed as Halloween candies like skittles and packaged to resemble candy.

The Drug Enforcement Administration warned the public on how drug cartels are using “dubbed rainbow fentanyl in the media” that looks like candy to attract young people and children. This has been seized in 26 states and is trending in the media. Attorneys General of different states addressed the rising number of deaths in 2022 due to the high potent drug in a letter written to President Joe Biden.

Drug task force and other law enforcement agencies are trying to find the root of the problem and more people have been caught trafficking the drug and being sentenced. To help people get the help they need and reduce the number of people falling victim to this drug, those caught with it are given jail time and are put into a drug rehabilitation program.