A World Beyond the Menu: The Viral Waffle House Sandwich

“We’re not making nothing you’ve seen on TikTok” reads a sign posted on Waffle House locations in Florida. This popular sandwich is taking the internet by storm and Waffle House employees are dealing with an influx of customers wanting the off-menu item.

The Waffle House Sandwich was popularized on TikTok. The sandwich is made up of steak, cheese, bacon, and their signature waffles. Waffle Houses are serving more customers than usual, but some Waffle House locations are against this new founded popularity. 

Robin, Waffle House employee. Photo taken by Trinity Cromwell.

Rachel Sharbutt, a Waffle House employee in Oakwood, GA, says that she personally hasn’t had anyone order the sandwich. She spoke about how her coworker, Robin, has had people ask her for the “TikTok” sandwich. Sharbutt said, “We do [serve the sandwich], but there are some servers here that will say no.”

When it comes to the price of this sandwich, Sharbutt says it’s expensive. “Like 20 dollars for a sandwich alone? As long as it’s worth it, it should be good.”  Despite saying that, she thinks customers would be better off eating the items separately. She explains, “The minute you let that get cold, you’ve ruined everything. You can’t come back from that.”

Alise Montgomery, a Waffle House employee in Dacula, GA, also knows of the sandwich. Surprisingly, she hasn’t had a customer order it. However, her fellow employees have had many people order the sandwich at their location, and it has effected sales tremendously. Montgomery noticed a surplus of $1,200 in sales added to the usual $2,500 on Saturday mornings alone. She also agrees with Sharbutt on the fact that some servers won’t allow their staff to serve the sandwich.

Jack Bearden, a customer at Waffle House, is surprised at how fast this sandwich rose to fame. He says, “Food trends like this happen all the time, just for some reason right now they’re going viral a lot easier.” 

“I think the sandwich looks good. Me personally, I doubt I’d go through the trouble of ordering it. If they made it a special deal or a nice seasonal option, I’d get it.” – Jack Bearden, Waffle House customer

The favorites menu. Photo taken by Trinity Cromwell.
The Waffle House full menu. Photo taken by Trinity Cromwell.

The sandwich has brought more attention to Waffle House’s full menu. Sharbutt says, “You can order everything on here, but it’s just not on [the favorites menu]. We have T-bones, sirloins, pork chops, omelets, and a whole bunch of stuff that no one knows about.” 

Bearden says, “Most people from here don’t need the menu. When you go to Waffle House, usually you’re going to get the same thing you always get. If anything, the menu is only a placeholder for those who have never been to or are from out of state.”