One UNG: Commuting Across Campuses

Photo by Ashlee.

Clark Leonard, the Assistant Director of the News and Communications Division of University Relations, says there are a total of 14,328 commuter students at the University of North Georgia. Blue Ridge has 208 commuter students. Cumming has 1,012 commuter students. Dahlonega has 4,853 commuter students while Gainesville has 5,966 commuter students. The Oconee campus has 2,289 commuter students.

“The 14,328 number does not include 1,025 online students,” said Leonard.

Cecilia, a junior who is majoring in sociology, lives five miles from the Gainesville campus. She commutes to both Gainesville and Dahlonega campuses. She says, “The Gainesville campus is much smaller and easier to get around, even walkable. Parking can be a big issue.” It takes her an hour to get to the Dahlonnega Campus.

Amanda Bateman, a junior with an English and music major, commutes between twenty to thirty minutes to Gainesville. “The atmosphere is different at both the Dahlonega and Gainesville campuses. People are less inclined to want to make friends with you at the Gainesville commuter campus,” Bateman said.

“I do like the opportunities that the Gainesville campus offers in clubs for those interested in making new friendships,” said Bateman.

Rebecca Norris, a junior who is majoring in film, travels 45 minutes to campus.  She stressed, “The professors at the UNG Gainesville campus are eager for the students to succeed. The smaller class size makes professors be willing to go out of their way to help each student.”

Anna, a senior who majoring in nursing, commutes 45 minutes to the Gainesville campus for the program.  “I often have to park on the gravel parking lot and struggle to find parking in Gainesville.  I live in Dahlonega and love the college-town vibes with the nice small-town people. This campus offers so much more.”