Bed, Bath, and Beyond Closing Stores Nationally

Photo by Devin Kupka

Bed, Bath & Beyond announced back in September that the company would be closing an upwards of 400 stores. The company revealed last month which stores would be closing, including the one located in Gainesville. It was revealed at the beginning of February that 150 more stores would be closing.

“It’s sad that this store is closing, it was a good store, but it can get pricy sometimes,” local shopper Pam said.

Other metro Atlanta store closings are:

• 2623 Peachtree Pkwy, Suwanee Georgia
  • 3675 Satellite Blvd, Duluth Georgia
  • 1545 Marketplace Blvd, Cumming Georgia
  • 1810 Cumming Highway Suite 850, Canton Georgia
  • 1 Buckhead Loop, Atlanta Georgia

According to county documents the Gainesville store opened up in 2006 replacing an old Bi-Lo grocery store in the McEvers Corner shopping center.

Currently the Gainesville location is selling everything for 25-40% off.

Bed, Bath, & Beyond sent us this statement on the local store closures:

“We have been conducting a comprehensive, store-by-store analysis of our portfolio to ensure we can grow profitably while best serving our customers.  As such, Bed Bath & Beyond has decided to close the Cumming and Gainesville, GA locations. We previously shared this information with our valued Associates. While the decision to close a store is always a difficult one, customers can shop online at bedbathandbeyond.com and our mobile app.“

We spoke to a manager at the Gainesville location, and they were not able to disclose a closing date.

At the beginning of the year the company held an investors meeting. They warned that they might not be able to make it past 2023. A few weeks later Bed, Bath, & Beyond hired AlixPartners to help restructure the company. In February, the chain announced it would be leaving the Canadian market by closing all stores in Canada.

In recent years Bed, Bath, & Beyond has faced severe competition from online only home store Wayfair.

In 2017 Bed, Bath, & Beyond peaked in the number of stores with 1,552 locations. In just over six years the company has closed approximately 1,192 locations.

The home and bath store isn’t the only retail chain that has struggled over the last few years. Sears and Kmart, big box, and department stores formally dominated the US retail scene. The all-around department store Sears, at it’s peak in 2003 before merging with Kmart had 3,500 stores. Kmart at it’s peak in the early 2000’s had 2,300 stores. Now both companies have a combined total of 23 locations remaining in the United States.

Toy’s R’ Us, Stein Mart, Kohl’s, JC Penny, and Macy’s are other big name retail chains that have struggled in the past couple of years.