UNG Mourns Late Political Science Professor

The University of North Georgia announced the passing of Dr. Leander Kellogg, who died on Aug. 17, 2023 at the age of 50.

Kellogg’s obituary states that he battled cancer for two years alongside his wife, Gabby Kellogg, and his two children Caleb and Brynn.

In 2017, Kellogg became a member of the faculty at the Department of Political Science & International Affairs at UNG. During his time there, he provided instruction to undergraduate students and those enrolled in the Master of Public Administration program, covering subjects ranging from American government and leadership theory to public budgeting. His academic specialties encompassed diversity and social equity, education policy, as well as state and local government.

The obituary states that Kellogg’s educational journey was marked by his pursuit of knowledge, spanning multiple colleges and culminating in a doctorate in Public Affairs. He was a brilliant educator who spent years teaching both in high school and at the university level, particularly excelling at the University of North Georgia. Kellogg’s genuine love for learning was rivaled only by his love for his family, adapting his interests to align with theirs, and finding joy in their happiness. His warm personality, humor, and competitive spirit defined his interactions, whether engaging in diverse interests or cherishing moments with his loved ones.

UNG political science professor Dr. Raluca Viman-Miller recalls that Kellogg had a definitive impact at UNG. “Leander was an integral part of both our undergraduate program and our Master of Public Administration program, teaching courses such as American government, leadership theory, and public budgeting for undergrads and courses for grad students.”

Those of you who were touched directly by him in the classroom know first-hand of his commitment to educating others, as well as himself, about racial inequality, public policy, and how to create positive change.” – Dr. Raluca Viman-Miller, UNG Political Science professor.

Dr. Jaimie Kelly, a fellow professor of political science at UNG, speaks about Kellogg’s legacy: “Dr. Kellogg was an important part of the Master of Public Administration program and the Department of Political Science and International Affairs. His students loved him. He was kind, patient and willing to help them succeed… His personal faith guided him in his study of social justice and his love of young people guided him as a teacher in both his professional and personal life. He will be missed.”

“As one of his colleagues, I was lucky enough to get to know him as a person and a scholar.” – Dr. Jaimie Kelly, UNG Political Science professor.

A Celebration of Life for Kellogg will be held on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2023, at 10 a.m. at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 6449 Glenridge Drive NE, Sandy Springs, GA 30328. Condolences may be left online at Dignity Memorial.