UNG Softball to Host UGA for the First Time in Program History

The ‘dawgs are coming to Dahlonega
Photo by Ben Lilley

This weekend, the University of North Georgia Softball team will face off against the University of Georgia in a fall scrimmage. 

The scrimmage is Sunday, Oct. 22, at Haines and Carolyn Hill Stadium at noon. 

The UNG Softball team finished last season with a 64-7 record and won the 2023 NCAA Division II National Championship. 

Georgia is coming off a 42-15 season that ended in game two of the NCAA Tallahassee Super Regional against Florida State University.  

This game will be the first time that UGA Softball will play against UNG. It will also be the first time the Bulldogs have come to Dahlonega to face the Nighthawks in any sport. 

Senior pitcher Tybee Denton said it’s important for the team to focus on what they do best and not worry about who is in the other dugout.

“We are all confident in our abilities and know we just have to go out there and throw our game,” Denton said. “We have a top defense and a lineup to back up our well-rounded pitching staff…This opportunity is going to give us the competition we need to be as successful as possible in the 2024 season.”

Denton also said a lot of her teammates played travel ball with some of the UGA players, and that it will be fun to share the field with them again.

Senior pitcher Kristen Davis said her plan this weekend is to attack the zone, knowing her catchers and defense will have her back.

Senior pitcher Delaney Heaberlin said the pitching staff is preparing for the game like they always do by working hard in the bullpen and staying within themselves.

Junior outfielder Jolie Lester said, “We are very excited for this opportunity to play one of the best teams in Division I,” Lester said, “and for our fans to watch some competitive softball.”